rich veins

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2005
      Bill, Even I tire of being super-honest, but you *confident* still
      make me nervous. There's such a huge difference between names and
      characters and humans, isn't there? After checking the summary and
      the text, I remembered that one of the poignancies of that final
      book is the emotion of Priam's gaze, looking on the hands that
      actually killed his son. Actually, that is, in a poem. You see,
      here again, when I consult the text, I find I elaborate, transform.
      Priam actually falls before Achilles, embraces his knees, kisses his
      hands (rather than gazing at them); it is Homeric narrative itself
      which tells us '...those terrible, murderous hands, which had killed
      many of his sons.' Yes, Achilles loved Patroclus. Achilles never
      actually is Patroclus. Even if a court of law never discovers who
      killed a man, the truth in that sense, is out there. Achilles
      killed Hector. Hector killed Patroclus. All three men act with
      highest honour. They act freely. And the gods are very much
      involved. Louise