do any rules remain

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2005
      You know, I think we are missing Mary Jo. Things are getting so
      personal here, and she definitely loved and appreciated Bill and
      Trinidad, and conceded in the end there was plenty good as well as
      some bad to be found in myself. This is saccharine stuff,
      unsurprisingly when wormwood abounds. Existentialism is personal
      but arguing about it should surely have some structure, some genuine
      impersonality which is not coldly inhuman. I dislike having to make
      direct accusation, as I did against Siobhan, but there comes a point
      when one's very descriptions of one's own interior life are
      disbelieved. Ironically, this is just the phenomenon which so
      flummoxed me in encountering evangelical Christianity. We can read
      each other's messages, but not each other's minds. Try to cram me
      into a bottle, and out pops the genie of your fears. A self-
      dramatising metaphor, and I don't mind your sharing the joke of
      that. When is a joke shared, and when is it a form of aggression?
      How many sides does a joke possess?? A Socratic question of a
      rudimentary form. There isn't an answer, except the truth of
      knowing it doesn't have an answer. Everything is specific, like the
      scary sense I had in the kitchen half an hour ago that my pussycat
      soul had died, and how to make any sense of that. I think it's
      doctrinal, the evolution of religion, the chrysalis. To feel fear
      long enough to think about its nature, but not to succumb to its
      entrance. I realised that it was like that story about Jesus'
      garment being touched. He felt power go out of him. Well, a poet
      can feel suddenly human, dull, compromised. The philosopher in me
      knows it's another mile along the journey. Danny O'Keefe put it
      better than that, I hear the melody but the words escape.

      Louise
      ... keeping her neurons going ...