Deep throat

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2005
      In "All the presidents men" the secret informer "deep throat"
      advises Woodward to follow the money. If you want to find out what
      is pushing events you can see the shadow of force in the money
      trail. It is boring but if you look at it as a challenge to solve,
      it becomes an avocation.
      KKK is not well funded. Hate mongers are much like hormonal
      teenagers and the prospect for long term profits from such groups
      are most limited. A military friend of mine monitors a para military
      group near his home. They are for the most part dormant. On occasion
      they save up their meager funds and skulk through the woods ,
      shooting trees.
      It appears the more pressing threat is from so called lone wolves.
      These people are self starters who have greatly differing
      philosophies and motives. It is very difficult to follow the money
      because there is no identifiable organisation structure.
      The greatest monetary drain and threat to our present economy is
      energy. Right now rumors of huge mergers are ripe and we could be
      on the verge of a pitched environmental fight regarding Russian
      LNG. Major energy conglomerates want to build LNG terminals on our
      west coast. Much of the technology is untested and the risks are
      unknown. The argument revolves around saftey of building "floating
      bombs" to transport the liquified natural gas. Interestingly the
      energy companys boast an environmental asset in that the gas
      would no longer be vented and burned from oil wells. This would be a
      plus in curbing global warning. I think this is an important debate
      where we might actually have voter and stockholder imput. It is the
      multifactorial situation that phenominological reduction can help
      solve. It is science, it is sociology, it is economics and the money
      trail leads us on any quest for answers.
      The integrated oil companies are losing the battle of exploration.
      We are just not finding new fields even with new methods. So rather
      than moan about lack of imput and double dealing in high places we
      have a chance to use some existential methodology to illuminate a
      very real world , multifactorial situation that affects us all. The
      west coast of the US should be especially concerned because that is
      where the unloading terminals would need be built. Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 10:07 AM
        Mark Feld has revealed himself as Woodward and Burnstien`s deep
        throat. It is appropriate that he was the number two man in the FBI
        so that a law dog could bring Nixon the liar and crook down.Even to
        this day I find my temperature rise when someone expands upon how
        Nixon was just what we needed.
        Making a clean breast of that era is something I have not
        attempted to achieve. All the memorial day honoration only adds to
        the surrealism of that strained time. It was then that I disposed of
        faith and adopted a viewpoint masted by science and existentialism.
        I still do not trust politicians but Nixon was the low point.
        Feld was wise and still brave in helping put away the drunken
        paranoid who was killing my generation and displacing the honor of
        my country.I was on one of Nixons enemies lists but still cannot say
        I agreed with the radical left any more than I could abide with
        Nixons mafia.
        I have arrived at looking at the VietNam war as a poorly fought
        conflict on the twentieth century`s flight from totalitarianism .
        Nixon exacerbated the crisis by his appeal to crass nationalism and
        false patriotism. Now I see our productive consuumerism as a bulwork
        against endless militarism. People would rather go shopping than go
        to war.
        I am thankful to Mark Feld for helping rid us of Nixon. I think
        his appearance may hasten a clearer vantage in reassesment of that
        dark time. I am hoping the pain will finally be surpassed by the
        gain. The cops finally got their man. Bill
      • Exist List Moderator
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31 10:41 AM
          I don't know that anyone under 35 cares about Deep Throat. They know
          Nixon = bad, but can't even tell you why. Sort of like asking what the
          accomplishments of Kennedy were. Kennedy simply was "great" no matter
          what he did or didn't do. Surveys show that most don't know that
          Johnson was brought down by the Vietnam War. Shows the power of a media
          image. Johnson is associated with the Great Society. I wouldn't have
          thought such ignorance was possible, but since I am reminded how
          ignorant even university professors are... I believe anything when it
          comes to history and science knowledge gaps in society.

          We are told how unpopular Bush is when his approval falls below 50
          percent. It fits a template in America. I even read a story claiming
          the European leaders were more popular. That was before this weekend,
          when it would be hard to argue the major EU leaders are popular with a
          straight face. This weekend, I didn't see one in-depth story on the
          unpopularity of Chirac on the U.S. nightly news. What about the shifts
          in German politics? Or the EU vote in France, Netherlands, and the
          probably delay of a vote in the U.K.?

          People seem to "know" only what they see and hear from the popular
          media and pop-culture. The template is set on every American President
          or world leader. That all leaders and all issues are a complex mix of
          good, bad, and other, is too hard to report and explain. People still
          haven't digested Clinton's place in history because he doesn't quite
          fit the war-hero, charming womanizer, template of Kennedy.

          The few people (100,000-200,000 copies) reading historical biographies
          can accept the range that is human nature. Adams, Jefferson,
          Washington, and Franklin are understood by most people in very simple
          terms. What we know about Jefferson, surveys suggest, is based on our
          political beliefs. Strange, but Republicans surveyed mention Jefferson
          and the founding documents, while Democrats first mention slavery and
          hypocrisy. (There is a move in SF to rename schools that honor the
          Founding Fathers, since they were not "good" people. They want to
          rename Jefferson for Malcolm X or another civil rights leader.) Those
          of us loving history simply know and accept both and the complexity of
          the founders. We know we are complex, so of course other people must be
          complex.

          "Hell is other people" because, in the end, others will define us. It
          is very hard to define yourself when everyone else is in a hurry to do
          so. Sartre's problem of "the other" remains, and is even magnified in
          the media and on the Internet.

          I bet if I asked 20 young people in one of my classes about Deep
          Throat, they might know he was a character in the comedy "Dick" and
          (even less likely) an Oliver Stone film. No one has seen the Redford
          and Hoffman film in the last 10 years.

          - CSW
          Message 4 of 4 , May 31 6:03 PM
            In times of great confusion and conflict it is unreasonable to
            expect a clear picture of situation or better course. I just
            listened to Gordin Liddy describe Felt as a traitor. Liddy has not
            changed but Felt has changed, and I have changed. The faithful do
            not change just as the faithless are more apt to cause change. A
            believer, even a liberal believer, seems less likely to allow
            changing circumstance to erode their store of baseless assumptions.
            The imperious Nixon did not change because his only real belief was
            in his power. I just listened to a conversation between Halterman
            and Nixon in which Nixon negates the possibility of bribing
            Felt with the FBI directorship because he was Jewish. It is
            speculated that this is the better reason for Felts leaking, he
            knew the deeply racist Nixon would never promote him.
            I think the winners who will be exposed in this reinterest in
            Watergate will be the growing moderate coalition. Just being able to
            admit you do not know can give a phenominological advantage. Unlike
            the dying liberal coalition or the faith bound neocons ,the nimble
            thinking of the ideologically unaligned moderates may be able to
            penetrate the propaganda from right and left. Out in the clear we
            may be able to chart a course unfettered by the baggage of faith. We
            may actually have a brief window in which to analyze and think
            through new directions. Bill