Just a thought

  • mike macdonald
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2005
      Hey everyone,

      Relatively new member here, I've mainly been reading others posts because
      I'm young and not nearly as smart as all of you others, just curious and
      trying to broaden my horizons. Main reason for this post is just something I
      thought I noticed, but instead of everyone here trying to learn more of what
      some of us don't understand, it seems everyone is more involved in
      critcizing everyone else. Just thought that a group dedicated to philosophy
      and branching subjects would atleast be less hostile, but the world is not
      as we all think as children and the brutal reality for me is setting in.

      Mike

      Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
      stationery, fonts and colors.
      first two months FREE*.
    • Susan Schnelbach
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2005
        Be patient, Mike. The conversations sometimes stay within topic and
        occasionally can be intelligent. The group appears, at the moment, to
        have devolved to religious discussions and rude behavior.

        Please feel free to throw out topics of discussion and points of
        interest. Don't worry about appearing stupid or ignorant, there are no
        stupid questions. You never know what kind of conversations can result
        from your ideas.

        My apologies for typos - I just caught a few before hitting send, but I
        may have missed others. It's late and I'm tired now.

        Welcome to the group, Mike. I'd like to encourage more lurkers to
        participate. Thanks.
        Susan

        On Feb 13, 2005, at 9:01 PM, mike macdonald wrote:

        > Hey everyone,
        >
        > Relatively new member here, I've mainly been reading others posts
        > because
        > I'm young and not nearly as smart as all of you others, just curious
        > and
        > trying to broaden my horizons. Main reason for this post is just
        > something I
        > thought I noticed, but instead of everyone here trying to learn more
        > of what
        > some of us don't understand, it seems everyone is more involved in
        > critcizing everyone else. Just thought that a group dedicated to
        > philosophy
        > and branching subjects would atleast be less hostile, but the world is
        > not
        > as we all think as children and the brutal reality for me is setting
        > in.
        >
        > Mike

        > Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
        > stationery, fonts and colors.
        > http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/
        > prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/
        > enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines
        > Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the
        > first two months FREE*.

        > nothing!

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • C. S. Wyatt
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2005
          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mike macdonald" <mikemacd39@h...>

          Mike:

          I agree, but it seems to be the nature of all Web groups to cycle and
          have periods of critical posts. I wish it weren't this way, but debate
          can also seem like an attack when it isn't meant that way.

          If someone is debating, but in a rude and personal tone, then let me
          know and we can remind the person to be more polite when disagreements
          arise.

          - CSW
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
            What about trying to start a discussion about what existentialism
            is??

            For example, I believe it to be a branch of philosophy, that form of
            scholarly discipline which has appeared in various forms throughout
            history where settled civilisations appear. Hellas (I use that term
            because there are various respects in which modern Greece is a very
            different entity), the Roman imperium (in pagan or Catholic forms),
            post-Reformation Europe, ancient and modern India, China, etc., etc.

            Thus far I see no reason to assume that interest in and practice of
            existentialism is confined to western peoples, whomever that may
            include. It is a human trait, to enquire about how to live.
            Insofar as we are talking about possibilities of cultural and
            religious evolution, we are in controversial waters. Which is why
            we should be discussing it, in my view. The manner of discussion is
            most important also. I suggest to anyone who doubts this assertion
            that you spend some time researching the existlist archives - say,
            from February this year, which was a lively time - with a view to
            pondering the dynamics of sociality. 'Evil is compound', as I
            snarled recently to some bemused children outside the sweet shop.

            Louise
          • Herman B. Triplegood
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
              Sounds like a great idea Louise. I learned some things about it many years
              ago when I sat in on an Existentialism class back in 1978. I was not an
              enrolled student, but the professor from whom I had previously taken my
              introduction to philosophy invited me to just sit in and absorb it. That
              later motivated me to pick up Heidegger's Being and Time and to read it.

              That professor was a trained phenomenologist, and a pro-Kantian, so, his
              take on it was perhaps not as pragmatic as some of what I have seen
              discussed here on the list. He asserted that Heidegger's question concerning
              the meaning of Being was another form of the general philosophical question
              concerning the meaning of life. He also asserted that the kind of human
              being depicted in Heidegger's analytic of Dasein was, essentially, the
              Judaeo-Christian archetype, the so-called unhappy consciousness of Hegel
              that seeks it own redemption. He gave a lecture at one of the philosophy
              colloquia back then detailing his reasons for making this connection between
              Heidegger, the Judaeo-Christian archetype, and the Hegelian unhappy
              consciousness. Lastly, he defined Existentialism as a phenomenology of human
              existence. So, that professor offered several different closely related
              angles on the topic of Existentialism which were, without a doubt, tempered
              by his own neo-Kantian rationalistic outlook, and he consciously
              acknowledged this. He was, in many ways, a person who was at home in the
              idea environment of the Enlightenment.

              Your characterization of Existentialism does raise the question of
              Existentialism, understood as a basic human enterprise, a practical enquiry
              about how to live, with all of its ethical and social implications, versus
              Existentialism, understood as a theoretical perspective. I would be
              interested in what you and others have to say about these two ways of
              looking at it. What is a practical definition of Existentialism? It appears
              that you have given a good start toward that. What is a theoretical
              definition of Existentialism? Is it fundamentally the assertion that
              existence precedes essence? What does this assertion mean? What is the
              historical context within which it was found necessary to make this
              assertion as opposed to its ostensive opposite? Who are the best examples,
              among philosophers, of the opposite position that might assert, contra
              Existentialism, that essence precedes existence? Are theoretical
              Existentialism and practical Existentialism distinct or interconnected? If
              they are distinct, are they in conflict? If they are in conflict, can they
              be reconciled? Should they be reconciled?

              These are some of the questions that come to my mind regarding what little I
              know about it. I am all ears.

              Hb3g

              _____

[...]

              Philosophy
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Philosophy+book&w1=Philosophy+book&w2=E
              xistentialism&w3=Existentialism+philosophy&w4=Merleau-ponty&c=4&s=91&.sig=QX
              O9QQTDN7-2-84TTEcWsg> book

              Existentialism
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Existentialism&w1=Philosophy+book&w2=Ex
              istentialism&w3=Existentialism+philosophy&w4=Merleau-ponty&c=4&s=91&.sig=lur
              QeKbMARJ2elcQRcz4BA>

              Existentialism
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Existentialism+philosophy&w1=Philosophy
              +book&w2=Existentialism&w3=Existentialism+philosophy&w4=Merleau-ponty&c=4&s=
              91&.sig=hpKtHa-oyE3oDm1_InODgg> philosophy

              Merleau-ponty
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Merleau-ponty&w1=Philosophy+book&w2=Exi
              stentialism&w3=Existentialism+philosophy&w4=Merleau-ponty&c=4&s=91&.sig=v1Px
              tAgqEiPoQVSOvhGZgg>

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "existlist