Re: [existlist] Philosophy

  • Susan Schnelbach
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2005
      Be patient with the group, Vickie. They don't always stay on topic, but
      they do eventually get back to it. Thanks for participating.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
        Never goes away. In most ancient guise, mineral, unhurt by
        disregard. The younger gods, goddesses, iconic animals, may be prone
        to slight. Anyway, it's all light. Burdens an illusion. Easy to say
        if all we do is say. Human beings get offended by saying. Is it any
        wonder if we don't proceed to communication. I know now I'm speaking
        to myself. Doesn't hurt that much. There are other realities, and
        imaginations, that hurt, including the body, of course. It's stopped
        raining. Time changes all things. Time is love. I've decided to get
        into cliches. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Do the things that
        aren't illegal. Stay free, help the imprisoned. More slogans. One
        day, we might form a party. Stories are lies, facts are partial,
        images bring endless trouble. I like truth. No need to believe.
        Just think it over.

        Louise
      • dick.richardson@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2009
          Philosophy

          Philosophy is NOT about reading books, nor inventing ideas and then
          letting them rip on to the world. It is about studying yourself for many
          years (psychology) and the world (physics and phenomenology) and then
          writing your own books and essays of your life understanding thus far.
          And folks can do with that what they will; for they are not all at the
          same place at the same time in the learning process; which is
          evolutionary. Folks who pick up a few philosophy books who call
          themselves philosophers are the biggest joke on earth.

          If one wants to study the history of human understanding and philosophy
          in purely academic terms without getting involved in writing your own
          (because it is an evolutionary process) then begin with Plato (or
          earlier) and then work forward, one step at a time. And there is no
          damned point in writing what has already been written by somebody. Even
          if just reading then one day something may hit you and you know damn
          well that you can add something new to that – then go for it; for
          that is what philosophy IS. But don't waste your time and effort on
          inventing the wheel, for it has been done.