Re: Kierkegaard

    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 2, 2005
      > Being unusual or different or weird is a virtue. It defies the
      > abusive pracitces of the human mind to either assimilate (join) or
      > stereotyoe (bash).

      Nolan, your critical [in the best sense] look at contemporary and
      historical lives and works is very stimulating, and always close, in
      my view, to the subject-matter of existlist. That is why you were
      so tempted to leave. Existentialism deals with truth, that which
      the 'natural man' most wants to escape and evade. Quite
      unsurprising that such a list is difficult to moderate, especially
      when a genuine existentialist like you shows up. You are, however,
      young, as you so honestly stated in a recent post. That I'm more
      than twice your age gives me no assurance at all of superior wisdom,
      but I almost certainly have more experience, especially of making
      mistakes and of suffering, from which one learns so much.
      My sense of the word 'assimilate' would not be linked with that
      of 'join', rather, say, 'adapt'. It's a dialectical concept. One
      preserves difference, and hence learns to 'rub along', a human thing
      not a pussycat thing. Pussycats are divine, you see. Rubbing is
      politics, worshipping is religion. Faith is ... indefinable. As
      for 'stereotype', it's what we start from, in order to generalise at
      all. Not violent. It is an element, and need be mixed with an
      alien element like 'malice' in order to create 'desire to bash'.
      We absolutely need generalisation, so as to have universals and
      types and genera and species and so on, not simply individuals. The
      lack of universals and stereotypes yields the horrors of alienation
      and 'no exit'. Hence the inherent violence of what is
      called 'political correctness', which inculcates fear of proceeding
      from singles to universals, in the voyagings of thought. Anti-
      Hellenic imperialism.

      > I couln't agree with you [Vickie] more that Kierkegaard meant for
      > his life to be deciphered, known, and experienced....performed..

      It's possible you're confusing the concept 'life' with the
      concept 'biography'. Kierkegaard was a detective and psychologist,
      and never a performer. He watched others perform, and hated the
      social forces which spoilt his pleasure, especially the popular
      press. He raised the spectacle of performance to its highest ever
      point, in his love for Regine. How I could possibly explain this to
      you I don't know, but reading his works and his journals gives you
      the best possible chance. Still, you might, for all I know, have
      created a new concept, unique to you, of how to 'perform' another
      man's life ...

      > He wrote more for the ages that would follow than his own, I
      > believe. He will grow more prominent in the Western conciousness
      > as times continue--I predict.

      And your prediction may be true. From another perspective, false.
      This is the world of Either/Or.

      > Enthusaistic and Encouraged,
      >
      > Nolan

      Welcome to refurbished existlist, everyone. Knott is dead, long
      live the young director ....

      Smoking Mouse
    • Will Brown
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 20, 2005
        Hi, Will Brown here. For those of you who are interested in
        Kierkegaard, the following site contains a collection of K-quotes,
        attributed to source, including page numbers, that I add to from time
        to time. Presently, the collection has reached a tad over six hundred
        quotes. If any wishes to begin a dialogue on things Kierkegaardian, I
        am more than willing to comply.

        http://www.geocities.com/wilbro99/