RE: [existlist] God is a concept....

  • carneymh
    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 2, 2005
      Very good post George--it reminded me of one of my favorite passages from the Brothers Karamazov, in which Ivan hallucinates (?) a conversation with the devil.

      "My dream is to be reincarnated once and for all, irrevocably, as a fat, eighteen-stone wife of a merchant, and to believe everything she believes. Honest to goodness, my ideal is to walk into a church and light a candle in all sincerity. Then all my tribulations would be over." -- The Devil, to Ivan Karamazov.

      Having the courage to be free--a profound attribute of existentialist thought. A number of years ago I was nearly killed in a car accident--a "miracle" of physics ensured that I escaped unscathed. But I do remember that instant when I thought I would come into the path of a tractor-trailer on the opposite side of the interstate highway, meaning certain death (I was less than a yard--literally--away from this). That experience was quite telling: I began to see the "abyss"--or as I would put it, the Void--as liberating. The realization that existence is meaningless gives one carte blanche to create meaning for one's self, to live life on one's own terms. Atheism is quite comforting when staring at the reaper "eyeball to eyeball," for the atheist knows what to expect: oblivion. This is why I would never choose to believe in God--facing the ultimate negation of consciousness, death, why on earth would I spend my life shackled to the rock of ages?

      --MC

      George Walton <iambiguously@...> wrote:
      Religion has very little to do with philosophy because philosophy has very little to say [substantially] about oblivion. Sure, you can project to the world as one of the few who has the intellectual integrity and courage to stare down into the abyss without blinking. But how comforting is that when Mr Reaper is staring straight at you....at you....eyeball to eyeball?

      If you love life, the closer you get to losing it the more terrifying the thought becomes. Also, the more enraged you become at some barbaric injustice you bump into [especially when you...when you...are at the receiving end of it] the more you yearn for something analogous to devine justice.

      Like John Lennon said, "God is a concept by which we measure our pain." The more pain most folks feel the larger God looms.

      I used to embrace atheism proudly...even disdainfully. Now I lug it around like that proverbial albatross. If I could believe in God, I would. But I can't so I don't.

      But having said that I still think those who are actually capable of deluding themselves into believing there is a God and that their God just happens to be the God is about 299 pins short of a perfect game in the intelligence department.

      And the scariest part of all [at least for free thinking Americans] is this: between the evangelicals who worship and adore the Osama bin Ladens over there and the evangelicals who back Bushworld over here, the planet is on the verge of being devoured by these blockheads once and for all.

      george

    • George Walton
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 13, 2005
        I not only formed a philosophy of life...I defend it. And I defend it existentially.

        So, defend yours.

        Dodo de La Beaujardiļæ½re <teslahub@...> wrote:

        > Religion!

        George,

        Why must religion be something that is preached or prosthelytised? Just like you
        seem to have formed your own phlosophy, might you not form your own religion NOT
        based onother religions and other ideals?

        My guess is that, philosophically, you already have. It doesn't matter what other
        religions have caused.

        I have not spoken of my own, merely because I do not expect you or anyone else to
        believe what do. What I believe (be it in god or not) is my religion, and
        immaterial, though I might think I have a good basis on which to base my belief
        (good enough for my logic). I cannot tell if your belief is right or wrong, good or
        bad...Except that if I have a level head and think, I may be able to understand it. I
        understand many religions, and believe in none of them as they are written.

        yet, I do believe in my own.

        I think you can describe your god. You just need not be afraid of whatever it is.

        Dodo B.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        document.write('');