Re: seventh post

    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 1, 2005
      Dear Nolan,
      I'm sorry. You are such an honest man. Of course I believe you
      that it was a typo, when you wrote 'Louis', and indeed when I read
      it I was immediately wondering, deliberate or accidental. My
      signing off 'louie' was another playfulness. Even after a year of
      internet communication, I can be highly incompetent at gauging
      whether someone is serious or joking, whether they're happy or
      resentful. I'm simply used to a high level of controversy here, and
      you're not. Believe me, you're reacting as I did in my first few
      months, but being much more sensible and courteous than I managed to
      be, even though I never deliberately sought to be rude. I could not
      deal with the pressure and bewilderment. If you decide to stay, I
      will be much more gentle and plain in my messages to you, from now
      on. If you do decide to leave, my best wishes. Even that sounds a
      little cold. I'm tired, dealing with struggles of my own.
      Louise

      -- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Nolan Hatley" <the_nolster@h...>
      wrote:

      > Louise,
      >
      > Well, obviously no one will respond to this one. It's an
      uncomfortable idea
      > and my reputaion here is not held in such esteem. I think that is
      for the
      > most part, beyond my control.
      >
      > I am not understanding completely what this response is from
      yourself,
      > Louise.
      >
      > Your saying that my proposal of the idea would not work becuause
      my
      > imaginiation would control it?
      > Certainly that can't be the case if people actually contributed to
      it, then
      > they would be engaging the what-if imaginatitive idea with their
      own
      > thoughts and perceptions.
      >
      > You say my imagination has enemies or all imaginations have
      enemies?

      > No, not neccesarily. I have a strong desire personally to never
      be at
      > enmity with anyone. However, this desire is beyond my control, for
      someone
      > can be persistent towards me as anatgnostic. I believe our
      imaginations are
      > somehow metaphysically connected to our real life experiences.
      It's not
      > jumping out on a limb here to say that I have at least an enemy
      here. This
      > is one case. Also, I think it mainly stems because of anti-
      thetical
      > beliefs. It can't be method of communication, for I have tried
      > several....seeking common ground, standing up for God, faith and
      myself when
      > attacked, staring intimidation back in the eye, sarcasm,
      negotiation, etc.
      > Do I will or wish enmity? No, of course not. I still know myself
      better
      > than you do, as you would say yourself about yourself Louise.
      Peace perists
      > as a desire of mine. Here, we can only go by what we
      communicate. Is
      > existentialism isolationist? If so, why do we communicate.
      >
      > Yes, perhaps, I need to stop reminding Bill of that and follow my
      faith more
      > closely. ("Turn the other cheek") I'm a man, too. Christians
      with any ego
      > or dignity about themselves find this hard to obey. Then again,
      as
      > Kierkegaard has pointed out, and to an extent CSW, we are all
      still in a
      > state of becoming. I am at least. I am young. I may have the
      appearance
      > of being close-minded as many want to make Christians out as
      being, but I
      > don't believe that is true in all cases. Sometimes it's the other
      way
      > around. I find a lot of the really "open-minded" post-modern,
      existential,
      > morally relativistic folks on a university live by this internal
      motto
      > somewhat...."There's only two kinds of people I hate in this
      world:
      > close-minded and Christians" Someone who has closed their mind on
      anything
      > is close-minded to an extent. I have conisdered omnes more than
      it let's
      > on--sometimes I wish I haven't. We have brushed away the actions
      and
      > motives of men like Hitler and Stalin with an all too intellectual
      > consideration. They were despicable men. Did they have thoughts
      and
      > feelings, crushed dreams? I'm sure they did. It was tragedy, but
      in the,
      > they still had responsibility.
      >
      > As for ending your post in Louie, I can only guess that you did
      not believe
      > that my mistake was a typo. I can assure you- that's all it was.
      Authentic
      > communication requires trust. In the end, perhaps I am guilty
      most of
      > naivety.
      >
      > According to Sarte, to deal with life existentially is to deal
      with hell-
      > the agony of the human condition. I come to engage the
      existential medium
      > and am accused of psychopathy. Louise, besides CSW your the only
      one who
      > has responded to me after the little war; people do get their
      way. My
      > posts our being limited and my enthusiam is waning. The tendency
      to give
      > and share or vigourous within me. I have little faith in
      attempting to
      > coerce or force a mind to my faith. I have no control over
      that. That's
      > never surely been my intent nor desire. Perhaps my time here is
      coming to a
      > close. Sometimes you just need to shake the dust off your feet
      and move on.
      > People will think what they will think. I am beginning to find
      out the
      > answers to some of my questions. Yes, I speak dramatically---I am
      theatre
      > major, it's what I am--dramatic. Psychopatic, psychotic....it's
      sad really
      > what people want to heap upon others. I believe in communion.
      > Existentialism seems to reject communion. They support the
      echange of
      > thought, but really on that. There's seems to be little
      connection beyond
      > that---only conflict. Really, what is the common belief or
      thought of all
      > existentials? I have proposed that it is a way of engaiging life
      in an
      > undivorced union of mind and passion. In this, may I forever
      remain
      > existential.
      >
      > What more can I say? "Bid Kent be unmannerly when Lear is mad."
      >
      > Peace,
      >
      > Nolan
      >

      > >From: "louise" <hecubatoher@y...>
      > >To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [existlist] seventh post
      > >Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:49:29 -0000
      > >

      > >nolie dear, yes, it is only an exchange of ideas, except when your
      > >imagination takes over. in your imagination you have enemies.
      louie

    • George Walton
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 13, 2005
        I not only formed a philosophy of life...I defend it. And I defend it existentially.

        So, defend yours.

        Dodo de La Beaujardiļæ½re <teslahub@...> wrote:

        > Religion!

        George,

        Why must religion be something that is preached or prosthelytised? Just like you
        seem to have formed your own phlosophy, might you not form your own religion NOT
        based onother religions and other ideals?

        My guess is that, philosophically, you already have. It doesn't matter what other
        religions have caused.

        I have not spoken of my own, merely because I do not expect you or anyone else to
        believe what do. What I believe (be it in god or not) is my religion, and
        immaterial, though I might think I have a good basis on which to base my belief
        (good enough for my logic). I cannot tell if your belief is right or wrong, good or
        bad...Except that if I have a level head and think, I may be able to understand it. I
        understand many religions, and believe in none of them as they are written.

        yet, I do believe in my own.

        I think you can describe your god. You just need not be afraid of whatever it is.

        Dodo B.

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        document.write('');