Neurotheology & Evolutionary Psychology

  • Siobhan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2005
      If anyone is interested in this research, here is a link I found this
      morning. It tries to pinpoint the timeframe in which shamanism first
      emerged. In shamanism many anthropologists see the origins of the
      religious experience. Religion may indeed have been a survival tool
      and its genetic basis seems to remains today. If it is a defense
      mechanism against a harsh world, what does that mean for any hope
      that it becomes recessive? Is predisposition to a way of thinking and
      feeling the same as predisposition to any other behavior or disease?
      How is this related to existentialism? It's definitely linked to
      epistemology and phenomenology, how we think we 'know' about things;
      how they appear to be 'real'; and what's 'true' about our existence?

      http://www.public.asu.edu/~atmxw/absneuro.pdf

      Siobhan