Re: helpless & bored

  • C. S. Wyatt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2005
      Mary Jo:

      You, and everyone else, are always invited to read what I compose on
      any subject. I use the Tameri site to post my handouts used when
      teaching English and the Existential Primer is used when I talk about
      philosophy and literature. In fact, the Primer was used for a course
      on modern European Literature by another instructor.

      My plays are not posted, but I promise Knott and everyone else that
      while the format follows Dramatist Guild standards, the characters
      speak like "real" people -- far from perfect in grammar or usage.

      Kierkegaard wrote under nom de plumes (sp?) to protect himself in a
      very clique-oriented, nearly "caste-based" society. I have done the
      same, especially when writing on political issues. I know my views
      would cause me problems at the university, and most there know I am
      not a Democrat nor am I actively involved in the employee's union. (I
      would much rather see a few of the instructors "released" for lack of
      interest in their students and subject matter.)

      I do agree that anonymous posts can be a problem. I also think there
      has to be some level of protection when expressing critical views. I'm
      not sure what the balance is.

      How can this be "taking responsibility?" How can it be authentic if
      one is hiding behind a nom de gurre?

      We have to decide, as Kierkegaard and Sartre did, if hiding allows us
      to write more and express views more important to society. If I am
      silenced at the university, does that help society and my students? It
      might be "brave" to stand up and criticize some problems at the
      institution, but being fired doesn't help anyone.

      Maybe I'm not expressing this as well as I might.

      Someone has the right to be hidden online. A person might have good
      reason for "hiding" some facts about his or her identity.

      - CSW