twilight diagrams

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      Bill, That is a fine vignette. I am struggling even to find words
      to describe my own response, except by couching in negatives. As
      soon as I might use a phrase like, 'you and your lady wife', I am
      beaten down by shamed memories of false distinctions within the
      English class system. But your country of course has its own
      harrowing memories and their legacies. Still, snobbery is a very
      diffuse phenomenon these days, and in Britain is perhaps less about
      class, race or income than it has ever been. I'm still wrestling
      with all this - and not just as a matter of theory. Anyway, three
      cheers for style and substance. Happy Anniversary to you both.
      Louise