damned cheek

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
      Be aware that in Britain Rolf Harris is an adopted Aussie folk
      hero. In my childhood he was there on the screen slapping paint
      about in amazingly evocative fashion. Or he was busy with the
      didgeridoo or the, what's it called, board that vibrates in wave
      motion and makes warm friendly slightly unearthly sounds. Now he
      presents animal programmes, representing the anxious and genuinely
      sentimental viewers vicariously grieving for other people's budgies
      and pet doggies as they visit the vet surgery or get trapped down
      manholes. I can't watch such programmes for long - out comes the
      handkerchief or the remote control. Anyway, remember that song?

      two little boys had two little toys
      each had an ell-ee-fant

      no, shome mishtake again

      Maybe I hate politics too much to think about it. I've already had
      a halfpint of beer tonight, and it served its purpose. For me it's
      not enough that Christ should sustain one, if one is Christian.
      What is required in addition is Christianity. That's a huge social
      project. In a sense, it's never been attempted yet. Jesus of
      Nazareth was nothing if not demanding.

      Louise
    • Knott
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
        > I've already had
        > a halfpint of beer tonight, and it served its purpose. For me it's
        > not enough that Christ should sustain one, if one is Christian.
        > What is required in addition is Christianity. That's a huge social
        > project. In a sense, it's never been attempted yet. Jesus of
        > Nazareth was nothing if not demanding.

        Damn, i guess my several pints puts us at intellectual odds. In other words, my dear,
        I've lost your train of thought. It is difficult to tot up my actual pint intake as the
        percentages vary so...

        But if you are saying most christians need to have a good belt, I couldn't agree more.
        If you think christ should have a pint...pronto I say.

        nible bible
      • Mary Jo
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
          Damn,

          Are you one of those sloppy beer drinkers Bill was referring to? We
          didn't get his progress report New Year's Eve. Hope his wife didn't
          get him into too much trouble. I pray his heart withstood all the fun.

          Mary the Sacred Whino

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Knott" <god@t...> wrote:

          > > I've already had
          > > a halfpint of beer tonight, and it served its purpose. For me
          it's
          > > not enough that Christ should sustain one, if one is Christian.
          > > What is required in addition is Christianity. That's a huge
          social
          > > project. In a sense, it's never been attempted yet. Jesus of
          > > Nazareth was nothing if not demanding.
          >
          > Damn, i guess my several pints puts us at intellectual odds. In
          other words, my dear,
          > I've lost your train of thought. It is difficult to tot up my
          actual pint intake as the
          > percentages vary so...
          >
          > But if you are saying most christians need to have a good belt, I
          couldn't agree more.
          > If you think christ should have a pint...pronto I say.
          >
          > nible bible
        • Knott
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
            > Are you one of those sloppy beer drinkers Bill was referring to?

            I keep well groomed, and do not tend to sloppy. Those who brew do not tend toward
            'sloppy', as such would be for amatuers. Each bottle aged as fine wine, and it would
            ruin the experience to get sloppy over it.

            What i meant to suggest was, 1 pint of swill @ 3.5% is not comparable to 1 pint of
            homebrew @ 9 or 11% ... it's just math. If you are downing a half-pint of bud (though
            just mentioning 'pint' suggests not this), it's just a sip of real beer like we make in the
            cellar.

            If i have 2 of my pints I can't equate with half of yours without more detail...

            But here nor there, I couldn't fathom what you were saying, blame my brew, or yours.

            Untold Damage
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
              look, who are you, anyway? do you think you're god or don't you?
              i've never assumed so. what has the quantity of beer we've consumed
              got to do with an intellectual argument? these are occasionally
              matters for symbolism when one is faced with enemies or confused
              friends entangled in psychical realities they've waded too far out
              to deal with in responsible fashion. in fact, i've nothing much to
              say in this reply if i were to dignify my message as such.
              refreshment of the list in my view continues to be necessary. the
              intensity of concentration required to follow the linkages between
              philosophy and academic or alternative sciences is beyond me right
              now. i'll be plodding on with the men i trust: Heraclitus,
              Epicurus, Aristotle with massive reservations, Socrates as rebel and
              sceptic, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche and sundry less prominent figures:
              Herbert Spencer, David Hume, Christopher Smart, Robyn Hitchcock, to
              whom I listen right now. Worship?? Electricity. I love and do not
              adore. Honour is the starting point, and gratitude eventually
              follows.

              As for the Christians, especially in the 'land of the free', there's
              quite enuogh Belt to be going on with, surely.

              You are also wise to lose my train of thought. I would not wish you
              to get crushed.

              Modern Prophet
              ... walking in the footsteps of Mohammed ...

              - In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Knott" <god@t...> wrote:

              > > I've already had
              > > a halfpint of beer tonight, and it served its purpose. For me
              it's
              > > not enough that Christ should sustain one, if one is Christian.
              > > What is required in addition is Christianity. That's a huge
              social
              > > project. In a sense, it's never been attempted yet. Jesus of
              > > Nazareth was nothing if not demanding.
              >
              > Damn, i guess my several pints puts us at intellectual odds. In
              other words, my dear,
              > I've lost your train of thought. It is difficult to tot up my
              actual pint intake as the
              > percentages vary so...
              >
              > But if you are saying most christians need to have a good belt, I
              couldn't agree more.
              > If you think christ should have a pint...pronto I say.
              >
              > nible bible
            • Knott
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
                > do you think you're god or don't you?

                I am as good a gawd as 'duard, but that isn't saying much.

                The reference to gawd is only that I am gawd if I am, as i perceive, the only world
                view. Everything is created by my perception of it...however errant. Of course, that
                idea is limited by my misunderstanding, which is abundant.

                SO, i am not gawd if you want gawd to be what you would perceive as gawd. I yam
                gawd if i am my perception of the world, which i make up...but i may be deceived.

                Flushed Toilette
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
                  Knott, I very much like fencing with you, but if any kind of god is
                  the subject, we seem rather doomed to be self-enclosed. You refer
                  to 'duard, who seems to me your own creation, one I don't believe
                  in. Whether he's willing to accept it or not, Eduard is my dramatic
                  Jehovah figure, because he has stayed loyal through every storm to
                  my need to state what I am and what I imagine, without coercion or
                  terminal menace. That is the connection I find with the God of
                  mercy and justice in the Old and New Testaments. It would not
                  surprise me if I make little sense to you. As I keep repeating,
                  some things take years to explain, and I feel I need a holiday,
                  without really the means to achieve that. But two good days of rest
                  and sleep might be enough. I haven't even seen my psychiatric nurse
                  yet ... Louise the existentialist

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2005
                    > The reference to gawd is only that I am gawd if I am, as i
                    >perceive, the only world view. Everything is created by my
                    >perception of it...however errant. Of course, that
                    >idea is limited by my misunderstanding, which is abundant.

                    Interesting, Knott, that you characterise/understate/parody the
                    conception of deity by calling it gawd. A cartoon theology, rather
                    than an historical theology illuminated by modern references,
                    including film, animation, etc. The latter is what interests me.
                    Eduard's Nooism is I believe complementary to or at least compatible
                    with my own poetic/dramatic meanderings. I certainly have never
                    found eduard's contributions to existlist as promulgating
                    exclusivist theological ideas, or exclusivist anything, actually.
                    Seems to me such baseless accusations, open or implied, were what
                    used to persuade him he was wasting his time here. And certainly
                    I've gone through periods of feeling the same way. Just that I'm so
                    mercurial, these periods would tend to last hours rather than
                    weeks. Speaking of Mercury, I was just thinking how helpful it
                    might be if we poetic types [addressing anybody here who wants to be
                    included] re-named the planets of the solar system, since scientists
                    get to do so much of this labelling business, usually without the
                    first clue of the spiritual resonances invoked. Yes, I might go
                    away and work on that little project ...

                    pope the innocent
                  • Knott
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2005
                      > Interesting, Knott, that you characterise/understate/parody the
                      > conception of deity by calling it gawd.

                      there is nothing of what you say there. gawd is merely my way of spelling what
                      everyone else already thinks they understand. i will not capitalize as it is not the same
                      reference in every frame.

                      This is a practical decision.

                      As to you and le Duard...or to you alone as both -- it is not unlikely that you are the
                      same, using a frivolous AKA
                      (but unlikely that you are as you seem to use different words--if so, good play).
                      Duard is, however, quite an idiot. i don't state such terms lightly. Too embedded in
                      the 'reality' of his precious science (and i do have a science/mathematical background
                      predominant to my written one) to realize that he is not perceiving even immediately
                      what he thinks he sees. In fact, his science should tell him that sound comes after
                      sight...and that the syncronicity of sense may be errant -- as seems to be most of
                      perception, and more, our ridiculous interpretation of it.

                      many people, for example, want to see the worst in a perspective, when I suggest that
                      even murderers likely have an explanation for their disinteresting choices. Women
                      almost insist that a man is bad, from my experience. it is a horemonal endulgence.
                      Marz and venus, no doubt.

                      I have probably never said this here...I once posed in a chat room that i was a female
                      interested in men. Knowing reasonably what men might like, I posed a scenario of
                      what i might like to do to a man, and the chat, which was loud and boistrous with
                      many people clamoring in, became quite quiet....and listened to my false 10 minutes
                      or more of fantasy play-acting. no one typed an interruption. Doubtless several took
                      matters into their hands. In the end, more than five refused to believe i was not
                      female, and no less than three continued to stalk my screen name for about a month,
                      begging me to return to that facade...to me it was an exercise in interest--not as to
                      how I could be a woman, but as to how well i could play a man's desire for one.

                      In short, there is evil, and slack fun, and a combination of all. When one takes
                      another's perspective too seriously, they are themselves the fool. I don't believe in
                      any of you...even Bill, whose drill I feel the best.

                      Narcodic Sljavic
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
                        Knott,

                        Your reply to my comments don't make much sense to me. I'll
                        intersperse my own replies:

                        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Knott" <god@t...> wrote:

                        > > Interesting, Knott, that you characterise/understate/parody the
                        > > conception of deity by calling it gawd.
                        >
                        > there is nothing of what you say there. gawd is merely my way of
                        spelling what
                        > everyone else already thinks they understand. i will not
                        capitalize as it is not the same
                        > reference in every frame.

                        Where do you get this from?? "what everyone else thinks they
                        understand"!! I thought you were a teacher, retired or not, rather
                        than some crazed cult leader or political dictator. What are your
                        grounds for such a truly absurd generalisation?

                        > This is a practical decision.

                        What is?

                        > As to you and le Duard...or to you alone as both -- it is not
                        unlikely that you are the same, using a frivolous AKA
                        > (but unlikely that you are as you seem to use different words--if
                        so, good play).

                        Excuse me!! le Duard seems to be your own invention - and I got
                        into hot water with Susan for ignorantly borrowing your moniker for
                        eduard, when Bill helpfuly explained to me how it 'burned him off'
                        (eduard that is) because you two didn't get on well, so I got all
                        upset in public and the moderator tells me not to be so personal ...
                        remember? Well, that last message was probably sent to me privately
                        by Susan. Anyway, I was most confused. I can only assume you have
                        a suppressed worship-fetish, and le Duard is your god - someone to
                        be resentful toward, perhaps. No, it's just a speculation. Of
                        course I don't know what's in your mind, any more than you know
                        what's in mine. And as to plain facts, eduard lives in Quebec,
                        Canada, I live in England, UK. We have never met, nor even
                        communicated by telephone. It's really intriguing, this possibility
                        of internet contact. I do find myself wondering about the sound of
                        people's voices. Photos give the visual rendition, of course.

                        > Duard is, however, quite an idiot. i don't state such terms
                        lightly. Too embedded in
                        > the 'reality' of his precious science (and i do have a
                        science/mathematical background
                        > predominant to my written one) to realize that he is not
                        perceiving even immediately
                        > what he thinks he sees. In fact, his science should tell him that
                        sound comes after
                        > sight...and that the syncronicity of sense may be errant -- as
                        seems to be most of
                        > perception, and more, our ridiculous interpretation of it.

                        There are more things in heaven and earth, my friend, than you can
                        quantify. I sure know what a 'scientific' assessment of my mental
                        condition led to in my own case ...

                        > many people, for example, want to see the worst in a perspective,
                        when I suggest that even murderers likely have an explanation for
                        their disinteresting choices. Women almost insist that a man is bad,
                        from my experience. it is a horemonal endulgence. Marz and venus,
                        no doubt.

                        Hormonal, maybe, and not necessarily indulgence. More like
                        necessity ... until one trains oneself philosophically/religiously
                        not to give way to hormonal cues. That's what Nooism is about, but
                        much more also.

                        > I have probably never said this here...I once posed in a chat room
                        that i was a female
                        > interested in men. Knowing reasonably what men might like, I posed
                        a scenario of
                        > what i might like to do to a man, and the chat, which was loud and
                        boistrous with
                        > many people clamoring in, became quite quiet....and listened to my
                        false 10 minutes
                        > or more of fantasy play-acting. no one typed an interruption.
                        Doubtless several took
                        > matters into their hands. In the end, more than five refused to
                        believe i was not
                        > female, and no less than three continued to stalk my screen name
                        for about a month,
                        > begging me to return to that facade...to me it was an exercise in
                        interest--not as to
                        > how I could be a woman, but as to how well i could play a man's
                        desire for one.

                        aha!! your secret is out, old cutie, a fantasist, an amorist, an
                        amateur sleuth psychologist, indeed, a natural pre-conscious ...
                        nooist neophyte.

                        > In short, there is evil, and slack fun, and a combination of all.
                        When one takes another's perspective too seriously, they are
                        themselves the fool. I don't believe in
                        > any of you...even Bill, whose drill I feel the best.
                        > Narcodic Sljavic

                        love and kisses, dear buffalo, from doting newly-groomed poodle ...