Intelligence + Religion =Danger

    Message 1 of 42 , Dec 31, 2004
      Recently a documentary on the chemical attack on the Tokoyo subway
      system aired on History Channel. Chemical weapons are known as the
      poor mans nuclear weapons. The leader of the cult responsible for
      the attack was an egomanical buddhist/zoroastrian/christian
      revelations crackpot. He used and controlled his followers with
      LSD. He attempted to dissuade uncultlike conduct with physical
      punishment. His strange patchwork of beliefs attracted a number of
      high level scientists and technical personel.
      His weapon of choice was sarin .
      In chemical/biological warfare training we were told to approach
      sarin casualties only in complete protective suits and our
      treatment prior to decontamination was atropine. Sarin is
      unbelieveably toxic. One drop of the liquid is fatal and the
      substance vaporizes at room temp. It causes coughing, emesis, visual
      imparement, respiratory embarassment and death. The only known use
      as a weapon was the attack upon the kurds by Chemical Ali.
      The leader of the cult had planned to produce tons of the
      substance and planned to destroy Tokoyo. The subway attack was a
      rehersal . The attackers were all advanced degree volunteers who
      had helped to produce the substance. They all carried atropine and
      planned to survive.
      I think we have seen many stupid pawns used as mass killers. The
      Peoples Temple killed themselves, The Columbine killers killed
      their classmates These people were of low intellectual calibre and
      little expertise. Producing, delivering and surviving sarin is an
      achienement in prowess and zeal. This is akin to Charley Manson
      producing a chemical weapon and deploying it. This is religous
      terrorism taken to a technological level that no others have
      approached.
      When Japanese authorities were asked how this was allowed to
      progress they said they could not impinge on the religous rights of
      the cult members. Governments all over the world allow great sums
      of wealth to be hidden in religions. Now Bin Ladin openly allies
      with rich Saudis under the auspucis of islam. Religion in the US
      solicit cash in the guise of religion for political motives. An
      audit is not an attack, it may seem a demunition of rights but
      stockpiles of money or expertise are threats. Our anti terrorist
      dollars should be used to investigate violent religions. Bill
    • Monte Morris
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 14, 2005
        Louise,
        sorry for the late reply. My job has kept me (mostly)
        away from e-mail these last few weeks and I'm still
        only skimming subject headings.
        Suicide is indeed looked at differently in Japan than
        in the west, and it is culturally different. THe west
        has an idea of sin attached to taking one's own life,
        a by-product of Judeao-Christian teaching.
        In Japan, sometimes suicide is considered the
        honorable choice in the face of failure, a remnant of
        the Samurai honor code. Now, those who lose their
        jobs, or who are failing at work, or who blame
        themselves for bad marriages, or the way thier
        children turn out, may commit suicide.
        Furthermore, some high school students are known to
        commit suicide if they don't get into the college of
        their choice.
        Indeed, Japan needs to take a harder look at the
        stress in their lives and find ways to address the
        problem of suicide and other incidents of irrational
        behavior.
        --Monte
        --- louise <hecubatoher@...> wrote:

        > Monte,
        > A few weeks ago one of those invaluable little
        > 'Newsnight' features
        > really surprised and, indeed, moved me, by
        > explaining what a totally
        > different attitude to suicide prevails in Japanese
        > culture as
        > compared with that in Christendom, where there is a
        > strong residual
        > association with shame or sin or guilt or cowardice
        > in many people's
        > minds, when the subject is even mentioned. It seems
        > that in Japan
        > it's much more of a 'lifestyle' choice, absolutely
        > morally neutral,
        > though of course that universally human phenomenon
        > of compassion
        > means that there are some Japanese putting their
        > time into trying to
        > help those in spiritual despair or delusion. I
        > think the first step
        > for us all is to recognise that we do not understand
        > other people,
        > nor what is best for them. Patient endurance,
        > lively curiosity,
        > faith whether accompanied by religious beliefs or
        > not, an instinct
        > for reticence, a boldness to speak when needful, all
        > these things
        > contribute to the hope for cross-cultural harmony.
        > A sense of
        > humour is nice to have, but it's not one of the
        > essentials. On a
        > personal level, no-one ever hurt my feelings by
        > failing to have a
        > sense of humour.
        > Louise
        >
        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Monte Morris
        > <monteamorris@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Bill,
        > > I don' have a whole lot of time to reply to this
        > > e-mail about the cult and cult mentality in Japan,
        > but
        > > a lot of the problems of cults is a by-product of
        > how
        > > Japan's society is structured.
        > > Approaching the idea of japanese religious
        > > organizations with a western mentality distorts
        > what
        > > is really going on here.
        > > Many members of these "cults" are people who feel
        > > ostracized by their society and the way it is
        > > structured. There is some excellent scholarly
        > books
        > > written on cults in Japan and the way these people
        > > think.
        > > The cult who committed the subway attack wasn't
        > done
        > > in unison and there was in fact a large amount of
        > > dissent.
        > > Further, this sort of violent act on such a
        > dramatic
        > > scale is not the only one to have happened
        > recently in
        > > Japan. A high school boy hijacked a bus with a
        > machete
        > > and killed several women on board and severely
        > > mutilated several others, while holding a small
> [...]

        =====
        --Monte Morris
        Philosopher wannabe
        Japan