comparisons

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2004
      Somewhat at a remove these days from the Academy, I nevertheless get
      the impression that USA and British problems with terminal self-
      parody, whether of the dry or lubricious kind, are of similar
      weight. It's our television that offers better quality, I think,
      save for your comedy and cop programmes, maybe. However ...
      I quote from the January 2005 issue of The Oldie magazine, an
      article by Wilfred De'Ath, titled 'Nausea All Round'.

      " ... [in 1988] I made a Radio 4 series, *God's Acre*, about a year
      in the life of a Lincolnshire village. I chummed up with some local
      people who invited me to supper one Sunday evening, when the
      conversation turned to existentialism.
      BBC2 was playing quietly in the corner of their dining-room and, by
      a curious coincidence, Brian Magee introduced three philosophers
      discussing the same subject. But we all concluded that our*
      conversation was far more interesting and perceptive than theirs, so
      we promptly switched Mr. Magee and his chums off. It would be
      difficult to conceive of a better example of existential choice than
      that.
      Quite recently, a fireworks factory in Denmark caught fire, giving
      rise to an absolutely magnificent, spontaneous display of
      pyrotechnics. That was existentialism in its purest form."

      'Mrs. Gladstone'
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2004
        And if you'd like to sample more from the magazine:

        http://www.theoldie.co.uk