A new choosing medium

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2004
      Observation is but a small part of the interaction between the sub
      atomic world and the elemental processes of the macro world. Across
      the vast span of scientific knowledge we find systems that can be
      studied as unique and singular subjects. Quantum phycics has proved
      to be the most segregated of diciplines primarily because of the
      dual presentation of the electron. The bound electron is the proper
      subject for classical quantum physics. The free photon is the
      subject of optical physics. Their interaction across the borders of
      diciplines seems the focal point of the Nature article. We are
      attempting to understand the interface between reflected light and
      the uncertain probabilitys of atomically bound electrons.
      I think we will be in error if we think of this interface as some
      utter demarcation in the order of the universe. A great deal of the
      knowledge gleened by science has been gained by simple observation.
      Those observations have been quantified in many ways and by methods
      independant of the photon. What happens at the interface does not
      obviate the continuity of the cosmos. That kind of thinking takes
      us directly back to Heisenburg and we have made sense of that
      discrepancy even in this humble journal .
      Indeed what you see in an observation may be only a small part of
      what is actually there. Other options may reside within the complex
      package of the quantum possibility. It may be that some
      presentations are preferred for passage into the environment. This
      would seem in accordance with the continuity of macro existance
      but such a concordance might not happen. Indeed at in various
      sequences I think contra presentations take precedence. Take the sea
      floor on the fault that fractured in the recent Tsunami. For
      thousands of years that place had one very similar observable
      presentation. A radical change in the underlying geologic
      archetecture caused an unavoidable new presentation of the photon
      record of that fault. The quantum state was overwhelmed by greater
      forces. The quantum presentation is a fragile veneer that floats on
      more energetic factors than simple observation might disrupt. Bill