Why progress?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2004
      The current Nature tells us of a newly discovered oldest,
      civilisation in Peru. It was based on three, irrigated river basins
      and the sea coast. It lasted better than 1500 years and was
      destroyed by its warrior neighbors. It had no writing but had
      transportation and trade. So what caused this enterprise to come
      about. In Egypt and China the circumstances that promote this great
      leap forward had not yet happened. I suppose you could point to
      the dawn of agriculture but fishing was an integral part of this
      culture. It seems a great number of ideas and skills came togeather
      to bind the hunter /gatherers into a cohesive group. They learned
      to irrigate fields but how they regulated this activity we do not
      know. This first civilisation would seem to have grown of its own
      inertia in this isolated place. Is there a demonstrable physical
      evolution that makes such activity possible?To say this collection
      of activities simply grew there because it could begs the question.
      That it died in warfare seems to promote Trinadads concept that a
      new idea will be necessary to save civilisation. I do not think we
      know if these people lived in a tribal mode before this great city
      state came about. Now it seems we can look backward to the stone
      age and see where the great change first came about. The antiquity
      of the find seems to make these people the first civilisation
      builders. The longivity of their reign still makes them the most
      lasting. Their isolation seems to make their activity a singular
      project which makes them the unique innovators. They will be
      difficult to study with no metal artifacts and no written language.
      Perhaps in this first epoch of cooperation we can find the spark
      that outshines the oblivion of war. Bill