Right on leftson

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2004
      I think there is a great difference between those who have read
      existentialism and those who have walked over the edge and lived it.
      Your particular profession could easily bring you to some stark
      realisations about what can be expected of life.
      I bought into all the help your neighbor ideals and refused to
      accept the huge downside that existance forces on us all.
      Teihart de Chardin seemed a wonderful wordsmith who held such hope
      but my continuing association with basic science drove me away from
      such mysticism. I began to look at actions and reactions which were
      paired sets causing predictable outcomes. They were immutable,
      secure from idealisms and predictably cold in their outcomes. As I
      found out more about applied science in medicine I began to see that
      the same cold principles that were at work. The worlds of gods and
      bishops were operating for the benefit of the players and took
      little note of the cold rules of science. I was left out, nobody
      was taking my part except the existentialists. They had few answers
      to the hard problems of life but they did define the problems in a
      rational way. I was in this hard place alone and if I wanted some
      modicum of comfort until my demise I best find out more about how
      it all works. Then again the existentialists did not lie about our
      final ends. They had the common decency to allow a finite animal to
      die. I was in Human anatomy when I came to the conclusion that the
      strands of goo I was dissecting were just as important as me a few
      months before. Again it was a life lesson that added up as a
      reality in the existentialists column. I had a short time until the
      I in 'me' was extinguished. That changes a great deal of your
      orientation as to the rest of the human situations around you.
      They are not children of god and heirs of heaven, they are fellow
      passangers on a trip to doom. Common decency could make the trip
      more comfortable but they are as respossible for their own time line
      as I am mine.
      So I understand some of your orientation to your young ward. You
      can see around the corner and know his plight is dismal. But then it
      is all about degrees of degredation and you have yours and I have
      mine. At least we have some idea of what the hell is going on around
      us. Until I am a strand of goo I can say I comprehend more than most
      and as far as we know that puts me at the top of the pile. Like you,
      in the evolutionary order we have done well. Bill