Philosophy is useless theology is worse

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2004
      Warning lights are flashing down at quality control
      Somebody threw a spanner and they threw him in the hole
      There's rumors in the loading bay and anger in the town
      Somebody blew the whistle and the walls came down
      There's a meeting in the boardroom they're trying to trace the smell
      There's leaking in the washroom there's a sneak in personnel
      Somewhere in the corridors someone was heard to sneeze
      'goodness me could this be industrial disease?

      The caretaker was crucified for sleeping at his post
      They're refusing to be pacified it's him they blame the most
      The watchdog's got rabies the foreman's got fleas
      And everyone's concerned about industrial disease
      There's panic on the switchboard tongues are ties in knots
      Some come out in sympathy some come out in spots
      Some blame the management some the employees
      And everybody knows it's the industrial disease

      The work force is disgusted downs tools and walks
      Innocence is injured experience just talks
      Everyone seeks damages and everyone agrees
      That these are 'classic symptoms of a monetary squeeze'
      On itv and bbc they talk about the curse
      Philosophy is useless theology is worse
      History boils over there's an economics freeze
      Sociologists invent words that mean 'industrial disease'

      Doctor parkinson declared 'I'm not surprised to see you here
      You've got smokers cough from smoking, brewer's droop from drinking
      beer
      I don't know how you came to get the betty davis knees
      But worst of all young man you've got industrial disease'
      He wrote me a prescription he said 'you are depressed
      But I'm glad you came to see me to get this off your chest
      Come back and see me later - next patient please
      Send in another victim of industrial disease'

      I go down to speaker's corner I'm thunderstruck
      They got free speech, tourists, police in trucks
      Two men say they're jesus one of them must be wrong
      There's a protest singer singing a protest song - he says
      'they wanna have a war to keep us on our knees
      They wanna have a war to keep their factories
      They wanna have a war to stop us buying japanese
      They wanna have a war to stop industrial disease
      They're pointing out the enemy to keep you deaf and blind
      They wanna sap your energy incarcerate your mind
      They give you rule brittania, gassy beer, page three
      Two weeks in espana and sunday striptease'
      Meanwhile the first jesus says 'I'd cure it soon
      Abolish monday mornings and friday afternoons'
      The other one's on a hunger strike he's dying by degrees
      How come jesus gets industrial disease

      Industrial Disease
      Mark Knopfler