Change

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2004
      Change is responsible for war. The connundrum is that change is
      unavoidable. It is often random and chotic. Civilisations settle
      into orderly patterns. The people develope mores, morals, ethics,
      laws, customs ,and the older the civilisation the deeper these
      patterns are ingraned into the social fabric. Old religions are
      even less prone to change. The reasons for their lexicons of morals
      are long since forgotten. Why must a devout moslem bathe in such a
      precise manner? As a bedouin he did it most seldom and he better
      do a good job when he gets the chance. Also the bedouin must save
      water. Now these reasons for conduct may be entirely changed.
      Bureaucracy`s resist change. Both governments and religions support
      huge pools of clerical and civic bean counters and functionaries.
      Often the initial reasons for their existance are long since gone
      but they must have their stipends. Governments that do not sweep
      out these dead weight parasites are susceptable to violent
      revolution and inforced change. Islam is now undergoing such a
      time. Tribal cultures are reguaularly torn apart by forces they
      hardly comprehend. The Hmong are such a sorry people. The tribes on
      the Afgan-packistani border are being racked by forces far behond
      their comprehension.
      Some reject war as a condition of life. Change does not respect
      their decision. Reject change and you only hasten the process of
      calcification. Wise rulers learned to moderate the rate of change
      but they die and less perceptive leaders revert to the old ways.
      The west`s remorseless use of energy is a lack of sensitivity to
      unavoidable change. We are paying a price but it is less than the
      suffering of even more brittle cultures.
      Understanding such processes , like understanding celestial
      mechanics, does little to change the phenominon. I have always
      taken comfort in knowing even if my individuality severly limits
      my power. Perhaps the best theing to be hoped for is to be
      forewarned of the tsuamni. Then again sometimes we will always be in
      the wrong place. Bill