Actaeon

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
      The painting by Titian, I believe. Saw it in London, 1985, I expect.
      I'm being allusive again, but, don't we all have cause? Sometimes.

      noo nooism refugee
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
        but when i looked it up on the net, it wasn't the one i'd seen.
        there will be time and there will be time, to measure out my life in
        open spaces, where prison walls have fallen in the human mind the
        only needful prelude. voting's not a gas, and not exactly a con,
        but these things are place-specific. waiting for the fog of arduous
        peace to clear, we offer our sparse solidarities to those in the war-
        zone. they are many and there are many. eternal vigilance is not a
        price worth paying, we are only flesh and blood, give us some sleep
        dear god and not death.

        [i believe we should] never confuse distinct religions, anymore than
        human individuals. you know, like that odious practice an
        inexperienced teacher or parent may fall into - comparing sister
        with brother, brother with brother, and so on; there are those who
        laugh it off, and those who are lifelong wounded by belittlement.

        i have looked into the face, the compassionate face, of true Islam.
        i do not know its languages. and i don't know Hebrew or Aramaic,
        some hindrance to withstanding the full shock of attacks against the
        true Christian faith. the human examples are there in the history
        books. the most wronged peoples are those whose memories are taken
        from them, whose artefacts are destroyed. what has happened in
        Afghanistan is terrible to behold even from a safe distance. the
        museums. the landscape. and language is only one way of
        approaching. you don't need to know greek, or english, to walk the
        true christian way. language is my love. i am a nihilist. i think
        jesus understood that violence is always wrong but that sometimes
        its consequences are good. woe to him who calculates violence.

        if god didn't exist we would never be able to laugh [if jesus
        weren't my role model, maybe i would capitalise the godhead here]

        Louise

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
          I have seen that painting but cannot remember the subject matter.
          That shows my level of appreciation, I read the title first and
          then look at the work. I am better than my lawyer, he went to the
          Louve and spent fifteen whole minutes. He said a lot of the stuff
          looked old to him and he liked new stuff.
          As to our long discussion of Hellanic and Homeric topics I would
          refer to the legends of our back woods. They are verbal and are
          carried from one jack pine savage to another around camp fires. They
          enjoy mythical creatures[Babe] and feature Promethian deeds. Now
          if 25,000 years hence we endow a chair at the University of
          Blasphemy for a department of Bunyan studies should it refashion
          all post Bunyon culture?
          I do not believe these peoples , ancient or neomodern, set out to
          pass anything but fantastic tales on to listeners. The Alexander
          movie featured a discertation about the veracity of the Alexander
          legend resting upon Homeric tales. It is all legend, just like
          Jesus and Zoroaster were in their times. To endow such things with
          great importance does more to further bigotry and race
          consciousness than any progress in useful knowledge.
          How would you view my mental state if I took the bit and ran
          with a super race theory based on the obvious references to
          preceltic origins of Macedonian nobility? So much of this lands in
          that kind of mind set that to entertain it all beyond the level
          of the verbal cartoon is to flirt with the irrational.
          I like the classics but as with all else I hold no belief in their
          veracity or worth as moral guides. To hold them up as excuse for
          ideas of racial superiority is bad policy and worse thinking. Bill
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
            Bill, I am not talking race and I am not talking myth. Dammit, I'm
            trying to post about terminology, psuchee, eetor, thumos, I think
            these words illuminating and I think Snell was wrong about the
            status of subjective consciousness of the peoples contemporary with
            Homer. I do enjoy the arguments and banter here - eventually! - but
            sometimes the process of manoeuvring is so exhausting I never get
            the chance to park. Louise

            -- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "bhvwd" <v.valleywestdental@m...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 8, 2004
              Louise, What I can make out of it is the Ovid has this huge long
              verse with many stories in it. It is his metamorphosis. The bit you
              sent me I could not find but I think it refers to when Actaeon
              was spying at Diana taking a nude bath in a creek. She catches him
              and turns him into a stag.
              Is that what was depicted in the painting? Was he all hairy as
              yet. How did Diana look? What happned to the dogs? Bill