Whoops

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 26, 2004
      Louise, That was nice But I was speaking of Paul Bunyan, and
      babe , the blue ox. Bill
    • Mary Jo
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 26, 2004
        Didn't he hail from Minnesota, land of a thousand lakes where the
        blue lotuses grew on top of the water, which Babe ate and caused his
        immense prowess? The great white north where St. Paul sprung full
        born from the horn of the St. Pauli girl's head? Mary

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 26, 2004
          Ya, thats it, where the jack pine savages go to "the citys" and get
          arrested for drunken pedestrian. Where dipsothermia runs rampant
          through the state hockey tournament, and you can still get a squaw
          who will get drunk and buy you drinks. P.S. She might scalp you in
          the morning. Bill
        • Mary Jo
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 26, 2004
            Ya, but at least you'll have some fun gettin down. Man, I have
            relatives like all these people you speak of. I asked my one brother
            how my other brother, who lives in Neillsville scene of the Hmong
            disaster, and he says no hadn't heard from said bother. Last time he
            heard form him he was on his third divorce, and fled to the "the
            citys". Brother said he was just glad he didn't see our other
            brother's name in the story-paper. Me too. They raise 'em crazy up
            there. Mary

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 26, 2004
              Mary, I took Officer Basic at Ripley. You were a lot safter on base
              in a full war game than in town. We were happy to go back to the
              field and live in the boonies.
              Little Falls was like Tombstone in 1880. The races were having a
              big ralley. Amateur sport car drivers are death troopers. They
              don`t gang up like bikers, they are all lone wolves. Real
              unpredictable. Then the tribes were having a pow wow. They were all
              drunked up. Add in 5000 Guardsnen from Iowa, Minn, and Nebraska and
              you had a riot with real tough guys.
              We had a Brigade Beef and Burgandy mess dress dinner. So we were
              walking around with swords. Our CO suggested we get drunk as we
              would have the madness to survive the streets on the way back to
              camp. We actually had a sword fight with indians with knives and
              rocks in an alley.
              Brainard was a full combat area. Sick call after a weekend night
              looked like casualties from the battle of Wilderness. Guys got lost
              for days. My wife called the base commander when I didnt call home,
              hell, I was having too much fun to even think about her.
              It really separated the warriors from the rest. Survivors of the
              course were shot and quitters were commissioned. They were the kind
              who could survive.
              It all paid off when we went on to arctic special forces work. It
              can be worse than northern Minn. They proved that to us. Fairbanks
              in Feb. is beyond description. We held that northern perimeter and
              protected the trans alaska pipeline. Those stories are covered in
              black. Bill
            • Mary Jo
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 26, 2004
                My god! What a life you've had. Thanks for sharing your adventures.
                My husband often spoke of moving up Yukon way for better paying work,
                but I just kept getting older and the cold & dark seemed unbearable.
                Welding pipe, etc. His last fantasy was fishing for Alaskan crab, and
                I said good luck with that. Like you say though, the streets have
                more hazards, as do factories. Crazy Indian stories, Bill. My two
                brothers are as different as day and night, though they grew up in
                same foster care system. My one brother is a born-again-political-
                cynic-true family man, and though we've not grown up together, are
                very simpatico. The other brother, wild, alcoholic, etc. AWOL back in
                the day, and married three times lives pretty much the native life,
                though that's only a distant heritage. Like I said, we were relieved
                to not hear of his connection with the deer hunter tragedy. After my
                overcoming my initial fears (late blooming catholic girl), I've
                learned to appreciate the male species, poets & warriors. Lord knows
                I have plenty of both in my life! Mary

                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 26, 2004
                  Bill, always glad if you're pleased. the hymn-book was a gift from
                  the Calvinist, circa 1999. Louise

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 11 11:35 AM
                    Siobann. Trinidad did tip the red queen in his hand with that move.
                    I have a feeling he could or has done the job.
                    Personally I feel like a lion being licked to death by the
                    freeking christians. I mean where are the assholes when you need
                    them.
                    Living here in the great belt of jesus,I am overtired of the
                    methodist, feel good news and the smiling faith in bull shit. It is
                    a conscious and planned ignorance that allows an endless escapeism
                    to jesus. I want to slap them in the face and make them smell the
                    rotting bodies. A cheque to United Nation`s relief just doesn`t feed
                    the bulldog. If a great botanist like Borlaug had been backed up by
                    cold but workable population control the green revolution would
                    have been the last great stresser we might have placed on this
                    bludgening planet.
                    The perspective need change and few even understand the relevant
                    situation. Now we are back to feed em or shoot em. No progress, just
                    bigger numbers. Bill
                  • Siobhan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 11 11:46 AM
                      Bill,

                      I wish to get more involved in this group 'cause I love the sound of
                      heads knocking together, sound minds, not knuckleheads that is. I
                      have at least some hope for occasional breakthroughs here with the
                      various existential positions. It takes all kinds of strange genius
                      to poke through the veil of ignorance. As long as those who do the
                      poking protect themselves, well, all is well.

                      Siobhan

                      > Siobann. Trinidad did tip the red queen in his hand with that
                      move.
                      > I have a feeling he could or has done the job.
                      > Personally I feel like a lion being licked to death by the
                      > freeking christians. I mean where are the assholes when you need
                      > them.
                      > Living here in the great belt of jesus,I am overtired of the
                      > methodist, feel good news and the smiling faith in bull shit. It is
                      > a conscious and planned ignorance that allows an endless escapeism
                      > to jesus. I want to slap them in the face and make them smell the
                      > rotting bodies. A cheque to United Nation`s relief just doesn`t
                      feed
                      > the bulldog. If a great botanist like Borlaug had been backed up by
                      > cold but workable population control the green revolution would
                      > have been the last great stresser we might have placed on this
                      > bludgening planet.
                      > The perspective need change and few even understand the relevant
                      > situation. Now we are back to feed em or shoot em. No progress,
                      just
                      > bigger numbers. Bill
                    • William
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 12, 2012
                        It seems a merteor just missed earth and we did not see it until two days before the near miss. It was about the sixe of a school bus . So it is still wild out there and saftey is an illusion. This would not have been an extinction causing strike but it would have dug a big hole and if it hit a populated area there would have been a lot of death.
                        Remember SCUD missles, Assad is using them . Just when you thought it safe to go out some despot rings up the death and destruction number. It turns out the space plane had flown before and actually works like a small shuttle. That we have a machine that blasts into orbit, and stays for months and reenters the atomsphere and lands is a fantastic feat. What it was doing up there for months is classified.

                        And Ravi Shancar has died. I liked the Indian music and thought the beatles were augmented by the unusual addition. I think it will take centuries to mix with the ancient eastern countries but music has already hastned the interaction . We need to understand a great deal more if we are to live in peace and security. Find the space rocks, interact with the eastern peoples and build machines that promote life and reject useless killing. Bill
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 13, 2012
                          Bill,

                          I recently found this information about the NEO Shield Project. It's the best resource I've found so far. Like death, there are some possibilities for prevention. Part of the pleasure in life in learning how to preserve it. Of course eventually death happens. I think I like the NEO hunters much better than actuaries :)

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 13, 2012
                            Here's the link I meant to include.

                            http://www.neoshield.net/en/the-neoshield-project/description.htm

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 13, 2012

                              > Here's the link I meant to include.
                              >
                              > http://www.neoshield.net/en/the-neoshield-project/description.htm
                              >
                              > Mary
                              > Mary, It looks like there is little being done as the action seems at a planning phase. I have heard the methods being considered and our technology is getting better but as to the political will to mount a system and pay for it. Space is hard to sell until some castrophy forces change.
                              Missing a big asteroid could be an extinction event but I doubt nothing will be funded until the threat is proved. Thanks for the link as it was interesting to see what is being done. I cannot say it makes me feel any more safe. The Europeans seem more interested and they have not blown up the world yet with the CERN experiments. Thanks,Bill