RE: [existlist] Giacocometti (fwd)

  • v.valleywestdental@mchsi.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2004
      William Harris
      ---------------------- Forwarded Message: ---------------------
      From: v.valleywestdental@...
      To: "paul minnillo" <paul_813@...>
      Subject: RE: [existlist] Giacocometti
      Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:38:46 +0000

      Paul, I would like to delineate between macro change and personal , micro
      change. The former is nearly immutable, but in the individuals favor, is more
      identifiable. From an existential point of view this presents a relatively
      mannagable situation. The reactive potential of a fore warned individual is
      formadable. In this I am speaking of a truly free individual, he must be
      unincumbered by moral strictures, theological restraints, political
      attachments and familial custom of restraint. In short he must be able to make
      a clean , existential choice. Clearing oneself of the aforementioned garbage
      can be a life long project, but these prices need be paid if one wants the
      lonely autonomy of an existential existance.
      Personal, micro change is inevitable but harder to identify, more acute and
      often responsible for greater personal jepardy. The opportunity for
      phenominological acessment is limited. In short you may be forced to make an
      educated guess.If that guess is made in good faith then coupled with
      possible reevaluation the situation must be accepted and supported. This is
      the real world of chaotic chance where we all live. To exist in constant fear
      of the mawing jaws of change is to deny the possibility of happiness in life.
      To live with courage in the knowledge of inevitable demise is the realistic
      answer of how to arrange a rational life in the face of inevitable death. The
      great existentialist is a great gamesman.He always arises to the constant
      challenge of the possibility of rational conclusion of situation.He expects
      to be short on facts, lied to, used, and then attacked for inconsistancy. Even
      with these great deformations of codex of reality, the existentialist wagers
      he can do better than mystical faith, set piece rational systems or blind
      chance. This is why those figures of Gioaccocomitti fascinate me in their
      constant business of rebuilding and relearing. They appear static but their
      dynamism is as constant as the often unseen forces they contest.
      That is how I think about it.Bill