Louise and Marcus

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2004
      I have found the prescientific mind to be a wonder of attempted
      cognition. Marcus Aurealius wanted to understand in the worst way.
      He built platitudes and proxy rules to fill in the huge holes in his
      knowledge base. I doubt they made him happy as they failed so many
      tests of logic. The Germans continued to confound him, the cold
      weather tortured his consumtpion and the heavens refused to bend to
      hid Imperial will. Then he died and was proclaimed him a genius.
      What could he have thought about that? Bill
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2004
        Bill, The man was a thinker, an emperor, a soldier. I don't do
        hero-worship, but my respect is commanded. I'm trying to carve
        space for myself, in the difficult conditions prevailing in the
        place where I live. Perhaps I am still too soft. Probably stalling
        for time, anyway, because I have an accumulated fatigue in face of
        relentless negativity from people, whether on this list or on the
        streets. I just want to walk in the woods, safely. It seems like
        too much to ask. And that makes me angry. And I believe strongly
        in the goodness of anger, once one has learnt not to be a fool.
        Louise