bibliophilia

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2004
      It was a few years ago. Paul and I were out on a hunting
      expedition, using omnibus transport. There we were at Barnard
      Castle, a handsome town with many stone-built houses. I think it
      may have been a cafe, am unsure, but down in the basement there were
      second-hand books for sale. A rare day. Before our eyes was a
      small library of hardback tomes by Kierkegaard, all owned by one
      man, signature illegible. The 1945 London, OUP, edition, of
      Princeton's Concluding Unscientific Postscript, purchased Jan 25,
      1946, according to the flyleaf, was waiting patiently for me. At
      last, a copy of C.U.P. of my very own! Likewise, a two-volume
      hardback edition of Either/Or, purchased 1952, published by
      Princeton U.P. 1949, the translators David F. Swenson and Lillian
      Marvin Swenson. We also snapped up copies of Fear and Trembling and
      Attack upon "Christendom".

      As I understand Kierkegaard's work, he delineates and explores the
      different stages of human development, in the realms of the soul, or
      is it the spirit? The aesthetic, the ethical, the immanently
      religious, the dialectic of faith. That first category, the
      aesthetic, is characteristic of the adventurous young, prone to
      exaltation and melancholy, a potential prey to despair. Here is a
      little more from the Diapsalmata:

      It happened that a fire broke out backstage in a theater. The clown
      came out to inform the public. They thought it was a jest and
      applauded. He repeated his warning, they shouted even louder. So I
      think the world will come to an end amid general applause from all
      the wits, who believe that it is a joke.

      What the philosophers say about Reality is often as disappointing as
      a sign you see in a shop window, which reads: Pressing Done Here.
      If you brought your clothes to be pressed, you would be fooled; for
      the sign is only for sale.

      I think I can make it cohere. In what year? This I neither know
      nor fear. Over and out. Remember what Amanda told us months ago:
      having the conversation is important. Possum said, speak. "Spit
      it out, soldier ..." - reprise. What with the television, the
      computer, and the hamsters, my attentions are demanded. And not
      complaining, as usual. Someone like Louise.