Re: Interesting

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2004
      Welcome to existlist, Nathan.

      Friedrich Nietzsche was a man of great heart, robust through the
      most appalling trials of physical pain and disability, a man of
      laughter, a man's man, and sensitive to the wounds inflicted on a
      reticent nature by the uncomprehending, whether male or female.

      'Ecce Homo' would be an instance of where to look for his
      appreciation of the physical/biological realm, and its interrelation
      with the very quality of human awareness.

      "With the aid of Leipzig cookery, for example, which accompanied my
      earliest study of Schopenhauer (1865), I very earnestly denied
      my 'will to live'. To ruin one's stomach so as to receive
      inadequate nutriment - the aforesaid cookery seems to me to solve
      this problem wonderfully well. (It is said that 1866 produced a
      change in this domain-.) But German cookery in general - what does
      it not have on its conscience! Soup *before the meal (in Venetian
      cookery books of the sixteenth century still called *alla tedesca*);
      meat cooked to shreds, greasy and floury vegetables; the
      degeneration of puddings to paperweights! If one adds to this the
      downright bestial dinner-drinking habits of the ancient and by no
      means only the *ancient Germans one will also understand the origin
      of the *German spirit* - disturbed intestines ...
      Most closely related to the question of nutriment is the question of
      *place and *climate. .................... Now, when from long
      practice I read climatic and meteorological effects off from myself
      as from a very delicate and reliable instrument and even on a short
      journey, from Turin to Milan for instance, verify on myself
      physiologically the change in degrees of humidity, I recall with
      horror the *uncanny fact that my life up to the last ten years, the
      years when my life was in danger, was spent nowhere but in wrong
      places downright *forbidden to me. Naumburg, Schulpforta, Thuringia
      in general, Leipzig, Basel, Venice - so many ill-fated places for my
      physiology."

      From sections 1 and 2, 'Why I am So Clever',
      in 'Ecce Homo: How One Becomes What One Is' by Friedrich Nietzsche,
      tr. R.J.Hollingdale, Penguin Books 1979, this reprint 1988.

      I used to wonder about this question of where one should live, but
      not being wealthy enough or sufficiently compatible with prevailing
      economic culture to have much option in the matter, it never became
      really an existential question in my life. Food, however, I've
      experimented with a little more. In my own case, I think fresh
      green vegetables, especially raw and appetisingly presented, make
      quite a difference, and vegetable stews in the winter, with pulses,
      and thick with vegetable oil and yeast extract. Chacun a son gout.

      Louise

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "nathanrieber"