Random Hello from the Founder

  • C. S. Wyatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2004
      I thought I would spend a few minutes reading the posts and seeing how things are going
      on the Exist List. All seems to be well, which is great. I haven't had the time I would like to
      read posts and respond to more of them.

      As it stands, here is what I'm up to:

      I'm teaching four sections of English Composition and Rhetoric at a state university. This
      means I am working for next-to-nothing while finally moving towards the Ph.D. I should
      have pursued long ago. I still love teaching, but not the academy. It's an isolated world.

      My thesis project would interest some here, as I am working on how the brain constructs
      written language, with an emphasis on how we can approach teaching writing more
      effectively in "special" situations. I'm interested in how ideas become words -- or as
      Chomsky has argued, how words allow for ideas. (It's an interesting problem, since we
      need words to measure some knowledge. This leads to "what is real" in language.)

      As I wade through literature and Critical Theory, I am paying close attention to the
      Existentialists and how the Phenomenological movements split from Husserl over time.
      Might be interesting to pursue in a discussion, if I had more time. I'll post what notes I
      write when I can.

      The entire field of Critical Theory, with its reliance on Marx and Hegel, as well as Sartre
      and de Beauvior, would be an ideal addition to the Existential Primer. We did migrate the
      Existential Primer to a new server. If there are any issues, please let me know.

      - CSW