simplicity

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
      It is obvious, really, what political health consists in, for
      Western culture as I understand it: a system that precisely will not
      tolerate hysteria as weapon. We are under attack from anyone who is
      complicit with falsehood in its many guises. The need for self-
      defence and the ironies of self-defence may at times appear like
      such complicity; the task of clarification, of personal honesty and
      integrity, is an individual one. From such small daily fulfilments
      of duty, in particular, the re-instatement of the intellectual
      conscience, may arise a group effort sufficient to repel the hydra
      of enslavement.

      Louise
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 17, 2006
        Ambivalence, fiction, instinctive tactical manouevring, all these
        were unknown to me as elements of my own conversational discourse
        before I entered into combat at existlist, which was very soon after
        arrival, so ungracious were some responses to my apparent challenge
        to an established social coterie. To make such statement is one of
        those unpleasant duties of clarification which falls to me in light
        of what I deem continued unresolved misunderstanding and
        misattribution here. I wish to God we could first ensure the most
        basic freedom of speech at this list. My experience is that
        reference to certain philosophers or other writers, such as
        Heidegger, Spengler, Kierkegaard, or even Nietzsche himself, may
        draw down comment that is not simply robust negative criticism, but
        amounts to intimidation. We are typing, and to that extent of
        course there is no violence in cyberspace. The realm of ideas has
        its bounds within the human mind, and accordingly emotion and
        imaginative association triggered by the other's language may
        affect, indeed interfere with, memory and reasoning powers and
        creative flow. Yes, I may be making a complaint into the empty air,
        for my own benefit alone, I simply need to start again, await
        results. Frankly, things seem very clear to me, and I find my
        clarities routinely disdained, and my sanity called in question. I
        do interpret that as a gratuitous political attack upon the thought
        of an individual. With reference to my most recent post, the
        whoredom of compliance with the modern money-god is a secondary
        feature of actuality. Philosophy addresses the cause and not the
        symptom. The cause is fear, and its cure is truth. We may learn to
        see, each our own unique subjective truth, the most clearly, by that
        form of thought which reserves no special personal interest for
        immunity from examination. This process does not involve intrusion,
        because all that philosophy examines is thought, rather than the
        feeling of personal existence. I do believe that such distinction
        is coherent and vital, and indeed the key to schizophrenia, which is
        not a disease, but an insight. Oh well, plenty arguable there, no
        doubt, but in hope of arriving at greater clarity through such
        argument I joined the list. Having said that, if ordinary
        courtesies were observed, the question of sanity and madness might
        lie entirely dormant.

        Louise
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 18, 2006
          Louise, this is Monday, blue as such. If some writers here, because all
          would be impossible, were as kind and respectful as yourself, how would
          this improve the world? Do I misconstrue your desire? It would only
          create comfort for you, which isn't intrinsically wrong; but I fear it
          wouldn't accomplish much else. Since my cynicism has been in decline
          lately, for a multitude of reasons, I earnestly wish you'd be more
          specific. We don't all appreciate the same philosophers and sometimes
          get weary of rehashing the ones we do. It is a simple thing to strive
          for clarity and honesty in some human relationships; but it's
          exceedingly difficult to enforce these en masse, or even here among a
          few strangers. You've always made your frustration and disappointment
          very clear. Yet, I remain hazy about your nebulous desire for this
          discussion group except a discussion that will satisfy you. You have
          smoothed the rougher edges off some of us. That ain't so bad. Mary