Re: My death or death as a real earth non-being.

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2004
      Serge,

      I think I agree with you, but I'm struggling with your unique
      terminology. Are you saying that we personally die because we are
      aware of the historical death (or non-being) of others? Would that
      mean that if we weren't aware of, or hadn't witnessed the death of
      others, we wouldn't know of death and wouldn't die? This is a very
      controversial concept. Is death contagious? It's a question that's
      impossible to answer now that death seems to be a universal event,
      even though you can only personally experience your own death. Do we
      deconstruct our carefully constructed personality-selves simply
      because we 'see' others dying? On the surface, such an idea seems
      unscientific; but essentially it might be true, because we really
      haven't determined WHY some organisms die when they do. Disruption
      or 'death' at some molecular level may only be a conditioned process
      reaction to a cataclysmic shock for which we have no 'solution'.
      Perhaps human dissolution is only a temporary evolutionary level.
      Observing our cosmos and its tremendous changes gives me hope in our
      potential. We can blame death on other humans, pathogens, or
      asteroids; but if we die, isn't it our own fault? For now, it seems
      that while we live, we are realized. When we die, we're not.

      Mary

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Serge Roganov" <svroganov@y...>
      wrote:

      > The death as an instant natural event is a construction which
      > appeared two centuries ago. "Natural death" is a background for
      > philosophy and psychology. But this construction is dead now.
      > The problem of death is neither one of "transitory nature" of human
      > being, nor the one of the attitude in this or that way to the fact
      > of "natural death". Man realizes his own death. Human originality
      > (self-being) is in the possibility to do this and in the way man
      > does it. Birth and death belong to man and are realized by him. To
      > realize the death of our generation and as a background of such
      need
      > of death, to realize one's own death or to commit a death, if you
      > will. Such a need – "to commit a death" seems like a commonplace, a
      > usual suicide but it is this crucial point where we encounter
      > especially our problem and solution of this problem rooted in a
      > whole Russian culture of last two centuries. To commit a death
      > presuppose a man who acts as a proper human being – to rely upon
      > oneself and to be enabled only with one's own possibilities. This
      > is, so to say, pre-theoretical decision – to realize one's death.
      We
    • lorrainep21@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
        Yes, I can understand the latter...perhaps, it would be best if I didn't
        understand that to see death is seeing the end of what at times is just to much
        ado about nothing????or just too damn hard, or simply too much pain...........
        LMP

      • bjunius30
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
          As I've said before, and you can make light of this any way want, but
          we are only concerned with a certain number of categories in our life
          time: God, Time, Death, & Experience.

          Any way you put we are at the mercy of all these things: God
          essentially meaning our birth, our spirituality, our longingness in
          the affairs of love. Time, the measurement of our flesh and corpeal
          beingness. Death the abstraction of thought brought to live with
          disdain and uncertainty or sometimes the attraction to it.
          Experience, the memories and feelings we share. The perceptions of
          our own constructs, inner and outer...,

          yes, only so many combinations...,so in essence our world multiplies
          these necessities into a higher thought of meaning and perveyance
          throughout the universe.

          Perhaps, later I might change my mind about this like Wittegstein,
          but it seems plausible and elegant to a certain degree. So far, I
          have not been able to tear it apart with my own cold scrutinizing.

          Bryan Junius, Ph.D

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2004
            Hmmm ...

            So it's ok to make light?

            In which category(ies) does football appear?

            The young in our country here in the UK are encouraged to kick
            racism out of it - in case that's relevant. There is no end to
            debate. Unlike the Saint (Paul), I don't despise the Athenians for
            evermore discussing each new thing. Words words words I lov'em.
            Until they mean to hurt.

            Even death's good if it's not the flesh.

            Except it die ...

            Programme about Agincourt currently showing. Map of Medieval France
            depicted, vying camps narrated.

            "With a weak king and a fractured state, it seemed that France was
            ripe for the plucking ... "

            You heard it here first.

            Louise