Your uncle still loves you

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2004
      Yesterday Priscilla found one of those huge Army envelopes in our
      mail box. By the time we were married I had finished going to
      strange places and prosecuting the Warmact. She wasn`t too happy to
      see the old monster still hanging around. It was from my final
      command authority so they had probably found the right guy.
      I had immediate visions of standing on the amalgam line at Ft. Polk.
      I had not minded the physical part of Army duty, I liked field work.
      The Army has great toys and will think nothing of firing off a
      tenthousand dollar missle just so you can get the feel of it.What I
      hated was the paper work. It is written in a style that always
      threatens. In the eighteen years I had served I had only one
      communication that offered any hint of humanity. It was a separation
      letter from a one star who told me he was sorry I was leaving the
      Army but I just had not filled out any paperwork.
      So what does Sam want with me? It turns out he wants to pay me for
      getting old. Now I will not be getting as much as some others
      because I did not fill out my paperwork but Sam still wants to take
      care of his wayward son.
      I was actually touched by it, that big old Army with two wars going
      on still keeps its word and acts in a responsible manner. Still I
      gotta find someone to do the paperwork. Bill
    • eduard at home
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2004
        You should fill out that paperwork Bill.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2004
          Bill,

          I think eduard's advice is good.

          emile
          ... trying to escape from a novella ...

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2004
            Bill, I see you as someone who has moulded the, to my taste, rather
            strange interpretation of Nietzschean thinking described by you as
            informing US Army training, to a more entirely human evolution of
            existential thought. There's so much more to do, and that hard cash
            on offer for your older years is not to be sniffed at; I still like
            the idea of a good-guy war effort we might be able to wage at
            existlist. Pacifism, for instance, I would see as one possible
            stratagem in certain situations, likewise civil disobedience. But
            at the heart of existentialism, for me, is thought, willing to
            conflict with feeling but never with the purpose of its
            annihilation, such a purpose being something I tend to think pretty
            much defines evil. To know what one is doing, to do it, to take the
            consequences. We can but continue. Louise