RE: [existlist] certainty of meaning

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 58 , Aug 2, 2001
      Chris,

      I sometimes think that religion is like a filter.
      it serves to find and expose the best of the
      moments of human activity. the goodness that is
      within human nature is always there, but we seem
      to need to sort of freeze-frame it, so that we can
      say, "yes, that was good. That is our meaning".
      That is why we have the stories of Christ's
      passion, of the good Samaritan, of Mary washing
      the feet of Jesus. They are the AVI's of a less
      technical era.

      But for all of that, it does not provide evidence
      of a transcendental god.

      I think in the end that, like the concept of
      "ether", one arrives at the point for which there
      is such a lack of evidence that the only
      conclusion that one can make is that it does not
      exist.

      Message 58 of 58 , Aug 2, 2001
        No one "knows" anything beyond what he or she experiences. All else is faith
        and / or bias.

        As far as I can tell, everything is a matter of meaning and intent. I have a
        great deal of faith that there are things greater and more important than
        mankind, though I dare not try to name that which is above man. (My Judaic
        bias, with some pagan "universe" worship.)

        From my web site:

        Logic has too many definitions to use the term without referencing the
        logical model being utilized in analysis. I tend to favor phenomenological,
        mathematical, or scientific logic. These conflict with other models due to
        their reliance upon individual proofs -- the proofs human beings can
        understand. In other words, what I cannot prove to myself, I cannot accept
        on a logical basis -- but I can accept on faith.

        Faith is important to me and most other humans. Faith and logic are, at
        least using the definitions utilized in modern philosophy, at odds but not
        exclusive: eventually I might prove those concepts in which I have faith.
        Faith is "accepting as fact that which cannot be mathematically or
        scientifically proven beyond all doubt." Notice the phrase "all doubt" and
        its importance.

        Ethics: (1) The study and philosophy of human conduct with emphasis on the
        determination of right and wrong. (2) A system of morals.

        Moral: (1) Based on probability; generalized human behavior. (2) Conforming
        to group standards of conduct.

        Justice: (1) The rendering of what is due or merited. (2) Being impartial.
        (3) Honest or equitable.

        Truth: (1) Conformity to requirements. (2) Faith in a statement's logic. (3)
        Conforming to a system of rules.

        - C. S.