Re: [existlist] Digest Number 397

  • Som A. Tsoi
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
      Someone had made mention of an incident quite a while
      ago. It may have been about a year ago that it was
      brought up on this list, or the Sartre list group--I'm
      not sure.

      The incident took place in Manhattan; a woman was
      attacked as she was entering her apartment, stabbed
      repeatedly � the attacker then walked away. Several
      minutes later the attacker came back and stabbed the
      woman again. Throughout the attack, from start to
      finish several witnesses did nothing to aid the woman.
      All the details are rather vague to me; I may be
      mistaken in my recollection. --But if the above sounds
      distantly familiar to anyone, if you could, please
      provide me with more information on this incident.
      Thanks.

      S.

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • ricardo cardoba
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
        the only point i wished to make is that maybe it was a
        taoist group, maybe it was an existentialist group. a
        tragic event you speak of. how is your life?

        --- "Som A. Tsoi" <somurai@...> wrote:
        > Someone had made mention of an incident quite a
        > while
        > ago. It may have been about a year ago that it was
        > brought up on this list, or the Sartre list
        > group--I'm
        > not sure.
        >
        > The incident took place in Manhattan; a woman was
        > attacked as she was entering her apartment, stabbed
        > repeatedly � the attacker then walked away. Several
        > minutes later the attacker came back and stabbed the
        > woman again. Throughout the attack, from start to
        > finish several witnesses did nothing to aid the
        > woman.
        > All the details are rather vague to me; I may be
        > mistaken in my recollection. --But if the above
        > sounds
        > distantly familiar to anyone, if you could, please
        > provide me with more information on this incident.
        > Thanks.
        >
        > S.

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • james tan
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
          this seems to relate to a psychological phenomenon where the more bystanders
          u have of an event, the more unlikely they are to step out to help, due to a
          perception of shared responsibility. check it out on yr social psy text.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2001
            Hi Som

            I've heard of this incident as well. It's been a few years now but I recall
            discussing it during a psychology lecture. The point was that in such an
            instance the responsibilty to help the person in distress is divided amongst
            many people so each individual (due to the diminished ratio of
            responsibility) feels less compelled to help. The woman would have stood a
            better chance of survival had there been fewer witnesses as the ratio of
            responsibilty would have been higher in each of them. This is merely a
            possible explanation of why she received no help - if you were looking for
            more empirical info than I'm afraid I'm of no help.

            Peace
            Prava