RE: [existlist] certainty of meaning

  • Tony Medina
    Message 1 of 58 , Aug 2, 2001
      Hello all,
      I felt i had to address this point, 1. I believe that
      some of us may have misread, or misunderstood this
      statement. 2. As we have all discovered there is alot
      of meaning lost in this type of distant commication,
      hence the constant play of semantics.
      I understood this statement in such a way as it was
      not refering neccesarily to choice, but to a greater
      topic, the existence of god, and whether or not "Thou
      shalt have no other gods before me" is refutable proof
      of some sort that there is no god, for, if the bible
      and its comandments were written by men, even men
      inspired by god, then it could be seen as a truth that
      God exists only by will of men. If it were not so,
      then there would be no need for this type of statement
      in the holy scripture.
      Another musing to ponder.

      Tone

      One is still free to make choices. The only limiter is
      whether or not one is
      willing to face the possible consequence(s) of having
      made the wrong one.

      If god exists,
      > then it would stand to reason that some choices
      > are not within our capability to make. For
      > example, there is a commandment of, "Thou shalt
      > have no other gods before me". If god exists,
      > then one cant make a choice to adopt an
      > alternative god. But if god does not exist, then
      > you can make any god you wish and there is
      > complete freedom of choice.
      >
      > eduard

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • C. S. Wyatt
      Message 58 of 58 , Aug 2, 2001
        No one "knows" anything beyond what he or she experiences. All else is faith
        and / or bias.

        As far as I can tell, everything is a matter of meaning and intent. I have a
        great deal of faith that there are things greater and more important than
        mankind, though I dare not try to name that which is above man. (My Judaic
        bias, with some pagan "universe" worship.)

        From my web site:

        Logic has too many definitions to use the term without referencing the
        logical model being utilized in analysis. I tend to favor phenomenological,
        mathematical, or scientific logic. These conflict with other models due to
        their reliance upon individual proofs -- the proofs human beings can
        understand. In other words, what I cannot prove to myself, I cannot accept
        on a logical basis -- but I can accept on faith.

        Faith is important to me and most other humans. Faith and logic are, at
        least using the definitions utilized in modern philosophy, at odds but not
        exclusive: eventually I might prove those concepts in which I have faith.
        Faith is "accepting as fact that which cannot be mathematically or
        scientifically proven beyond all doubt." Notice the phrase "all doubt" and
        its importance.

        Ethics: (1) The study and philosophy of human conduct with emphasis on the
        determination of right and wrong. (2) A system of morals.

        Moral: (1) Based on probability; generalized human behavior. (2) Conforming
        to group standards of conduct.

        Justice: (1) The rendering of what is due or merited. (2) Being impartial.
        (3) Honest or equitable.

        Truth: (1) Conformity to requirements. (2) Faith in a statement's logic. (3)
        Conforming to a system of rules.

        - C. S.