Re: certainty of meaning

  • Bob Lane
    Message 1 of 58 , Aug 2, 2001
      --- In existlist@y..., "james tan" <tyjfk@h...> wrote:

      > aiden,
      >
      > perhaps u have indeed moved a little off tangent, [snip]

      I certainly don't want to be "off tangent," or even off topic, but
      the attempt to equate god and stone seems doomed. The difference
      between "I feel god" and "I feel a stone" is that the verification
      technique used to affirm the truth of the two claims is not
      merely "what I feel" but the publicity of the two entities.

      I suggest that reading John Wisdom's classic paper titled "Gods" is a
      good idea for those interested in this topic.

      Bob Lane
    • C. S. Wyatt
      Message 58 of 58 , Aug 2, 2001
        No one "knows" anything beyond what he or she experiences. All else is faith
        and / or bias.

        As far as I can tell, everything is a matter of meaning and intent. I have a
        great deal of faith that there are things greater and more important than
        mankind, though I dare not try to name that which is above man. (My Judaic
        bias, with some pagan "universe" worship.)

        From my web site:

        Logic has too many definitions to use the term without referencing the
        logical model being utilized in analysis. I tend to favor phenomenological,
        mathematical, or scientific logic. These conflict with other models due to
        their reliance upon individual proofs -- the proofs human beings can
        understand. In other words, what I cannot prove to myself, I cannot accept
        on a logical basis -- but I can accept on faith.

        Faith is important to me and most other humans. Faith and logic are, at
        least using the definitions utilized in modern philosophy, at odds but not
        exclusive: eventually I might prove those concepts in which I have faith.
        Faith is "accepting as fact that which cannot be mathematically or
        scientifically proven beyond all doubt." Notice the phrase "all doubt" and
        its importance.

        Ethics: (1) The study and philosophy of human conduct with emphasis on the
        determination of right and wrong. (2) A system of morals.

        Moral: (1) Based on probability; generalized human behavior. (2) Conforming
        to group standards of conduct.

        Justice: (1) The rendering of what is due or merited. (2) Being impartial.
        (3) Honest or equitable.

        Truth: (1) Conformity to requirements. (2) Faith in a statement's logic. (3)
        Conforming to a system of rules.

        - C. S.