Beginning of the end

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2004
      The first numbers are beginning to come in regarding the impact of
      the retirement of the so called boomer generation. A guest on Lew
      Dobbs related the outsourcing of American jobs to a reduction in
      productivity by younger , American workers. The young ones do not
      work as hard as the boomers did and the boomers are beginning to
      retire. Hungry, foreign workers will work harder for less. This has
      big implications for the US and the rest of the world.
      The boomers were in a life or death competition to find integral
      work nitches so as not to be drafted into the Viet Nam war. There
      was hard competition for grades to get into and stay in college.
      Frenetic work habits were built and remained throughout the
      productive lives of these people.
      I have written before about the preoccupation of my generation with
      work, now the numbers are showing that our children will not
      maintain that pace. Both quality and quantity of work load is
      falling off. I think it is inappropriate to view this as good or bad
      but it is necessary to consider it from many viewpoints.
      American workers are opting for less strenuous work lives. For
      years the unions have had a hard time finding american workers to
      fill construction jobs. Now foreign, hispanic workers build our
      roads and buildings. They also take a good deal of their salarys
      back to their home countries. It becomes more difficult to find an
      american born doctor. East Indians and Pakistanis are imported
      because the insurance companies have taken the wealth out of a
      medical cereer. Two full american generations are ensconced in the
      cubicles where life is predictable if boring. We have become the
      counters while others are becomming the producers. More than wars I
      think this will slowly change the world balance of power. I actually
      see the excesses of the boomer generation responsible for the US
      being the only remaining superpower. A reinstitution of the draft in
      a secound Bush administration could trigger a new competitiveness
      within the youngest of our new work generation but the cubie
      generations are beyond motovation. I think the american life style
      has reached its high point for several generations and all the talk
      of globalism may be inevitable. Further degrading the cubies or
      chastasing the boomers for their generational proclivaties is a
      waste of time. We reacted to the situations that presented
      themselves so it is unfair to expect a gen X to react like a boomer.
      The pendulum may be swinging back to a more robust work ethic but
      what is in the pipe will take years to pass through. Bill