Re: [existlist] A really weird request

  • Roggles457@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 29, 2001
      thanks for your help, both of you. I am aware of the possiblity (and
      likelihood, in my opinion) that words were put into his mouth. I was merely
      curious. And never mind about the noncanon gospels, I found textdocs of all
      of them.

      Ryan
    • Tony Lea
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 29, 2001
        >I'm looking in the Gospels (of the bible, ::shudders::) for any mention >
        of Christ. HIMSELF claiming to be divine or the messiah, rather than >
        someone else saying it.

        The Bible is somewhat vague on the issue, and this has always been a very
        contentious issue among theologians. If Jesus were divine and knew with
        certainty that after everything he would go to heaven (and knew the nature
        of heaven), then his suffering would be diminished. (Even the most devout,
        sane Christian could, in a time of mortal crisis, have a passing lack of
        complete faith).

        When nailed to the cross, Jesus has a momentary doubt, asking why God has
        forsaken him. His faith is then seemingly restored as he surrenders his
        spirit to God. I think that if Jesus had been divine, rather then human,
        there would have been no doubt in his mind.

        I suppose the lesson to be learned would be that even the truest Christians
        can express doubt and still be forgiven through honest confession and
        contrition (as Jesus' resurrection illustrates). Of course when Jesus
        surrenders his soul, I don't think he's saying that he's ready to go to
        heaven. I think he's saying that, having shown a momentary lack of faith, he
        is delivering his fate unto God. If God sees his lapse as unforgiveable,
        then Jesus is willing to be sent to Hell.

        Tony
      • Tony Lea
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 29, 2001
          > http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/996460066.html

          Thanks Eduard.

          I don't think you've pointed me to this one before.

          It's an excellent site.

          Tony
        • Eduard Alf
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 29, 2001
            Ryan,

            I could do a search in the Word doc I have of the
            Bible. But then what would that serve? It still
            requires an interpretation, no matter what He
            might have said. it all depends upon what you
            want to believe.

            go to
            http://www.blueletterbible.org/tmp_dir/words/99646
            0066.html for an interesting on-line that will
            allow you to search for passages and phrases.

            non canical gospels ... you can find a few on the
            internet ... just do a search ..

            http://www.beliefnet.com/story/31/story_3149_1.htm
            http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gop.html ... gospel
            of philip??
            http://home.epix.net/~miser17/Thomas.html ...
            gospel of thomas

            there should be a gospel of eve somewhere