Re: vulgarity

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
      Oh, yeah, erotica - I wonder what you would think of some of our
      tabloid papers. To be sure, I understand better than ever the
      apparent reasons for the female body's appropriation as cunningly
      diversionary conduit for the bilious feelings of frustrated workers,
      blue- or white-collar. Malice is not erotic; and deceiving people,
      inveigling them into obsessions which will cost more money and good
      will than they have to spare, only undermines the cause of sex, as
      well as that of family. Earthiness is fine, and so is blue humour.
      Rape of any kind is never fine, unless it partakes of art or humour,
      and therefore is in no real sense coerced. Invasion of privacy,
      telling lies, it's all that area of discourse I was thinking of.
      Voyeuristic sexuality combined with moralism - that's the dead
      giveaway. But, actually, voyeuristic business is just as bad, maybe
      harder to pin down verbally. Louise