Re: vacuum fluctuations

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
      I don't find the situation unbearable - I find it sickening, so I
      just ignore or swat away what I don't want to see or cannot
      sanction: it doesn't belong to me, and Nietzsche has in his works
      and life showed me how to turn aside.
      That's, I believe, the thing to do, if the unbearableness or
      sickening moral stench has not compromised one's conscience. And
      aren't we all innocent, in the light of day, Bill, Mary Jo,
      Trinidad, Knott, myself, anyone who wants to add to the current
      discussion, or to moderate it according to due authority? Of
      course, I'm used to this, inculcated into Calvinism, encountering
      sincere tender gratitude in people, that God had seen fit to save
      them, and yet all unconcerned, de facto, about the poor buggers
      around them bound for Hell. So this is quite cool, actually. I
      have hope and I have faith, and I even start to believe I have some
      loving friends, and no fools either. Those pictures from Abu Ghraib
      reflect something genuine and revolting about the human condition.
      Traditional Christianity has called it sin, an unattractive word,
      but we can find new ones. Once we've looked it in the face, we can
      start thinking with a new realism, and gravity, strangely, will
      carry us clear till it's a distant memory. Actually, Epicurus says
      something possibly related to this:

      (from eduard's former 'epicureanism' section, in Nooism,
      the listing of "Principle Doctrines" as so-called "Vatican Sayings")

      18. Bodily pleasure does not increase when the pain of want has
      been removed; after that it only admits of variation. The limit of
      mental pleasure, however, is reached when we reflect on these bodily
      pleasures and their related emotions, which used to cause the mind
      the greatest alarms.

      Louise