vulgarity

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
      <It totally sickens me, to see all the bodily vulgarity on view, in
      the absence of freedom of speech about the pursuits of the mind.>

      Louise, Erotica certainly sells and should sit proudly next to all
      the magazines for pursuits of the mind. For me they're both necessary
      to correct our deficiencies. Maybe you need to discover different
      magazine kiosks. It's simply a matter of moving to another corner or
      another venue to find matters for the 'mind'. I agree completely with
      you about freedom of speech. We can print anything but say very
      little. My ideal freedom of speech is when our spoken ideas are
      accepted by one another without disdain. Can we ever overcome
      these 'racial' differences. We're all alien one from another, and as
      I said the other day, metaphorically from other galaxies. Mary
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
        Oh, yeah, erotica - I wonder what you would think of some of our
        tabloid papers. To be sure, I understand better than ever the
        apparent reasons for the female body's appropriation as cunningly
        diversionary conduit for the bilious feelings of frustrated workers,
        blue- or white-collar. Malice is not erotic; and deceiving people,
        inveigling them into obsessions which will cost more money and good
        will than they have to spare, only undermines the cause of sex, as
        well as that of family. Earthiness is fine, and so is blue humour.
        Rape of any kind is never fine, unless it partakes of art or humour,
        and therefore is in no real sense coerced. Invasion of privacy,
        telling lies, it's all that area of discourse I was thinking of.
        Voyeuristic sexuality combined with moralism - that's the dead
        giveaway. But, actually, voyeuristic business is just as bad, maybe
        harder to pin down verbally. Louise