vacuum fluctuations

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
      <In a similar vein we are being asked if Bush is using the terrorist
      situation for political benefit. I find it most difficult to form
      an opinion when the intelligence is unavailable to me as an
      individual citisen. If I do not know what the intelligence is how am
      I to weight it? As an existentialist my footing becomes less and
      less sound because I must trust and/ or guess. My concept of
      representative democracy becomes much more literal as democracy is
      only represented by the system. With analitical thinking banned as
      politically incorrect and first line knowledge of precipitous events
      classified beyond my clearance, I become sightless as I vote a party
      line. I understand that is exactly how many special interests wish
      me to be cornered. Bill>

      I find our current situation almost unbearable, since we can never
      make choices when we don't know what's offered. As with many of the
      things we discuss here intelligence is like MacDougall's 21 grams.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2004
        I don't find the situation unbearable - I find it sickening, so I
        just ignore or swat away what I don't want to see or cannot
        sanction: it doesn't belong to me, and Nietzsche has in his works
        and life showed me how to turn aside.
        That's, I believe, the thing to do, if the unbearableness or
        sickening moral stench has not compromised one's conscience. And
        aren't we all innocent, in the light of day, Bill, Mary Jo,
        Trinidad, Knott, myself, anyone who wants to add to the current
        discussion, or to moderate it according to due authority? Of
        course, I'm used to this, inculcated into Calvinism, encountering
        sincere tender gratitude in people, that God had seen fit to save
        them, and yet all unconcerned, de facto, about the poor buggers
        around them bound for Hell. So this is quite cool, actually. I
        have hope and I have faith, and I even start to believe I have some
        loving friends, and no fools either. Those pictures from Abu Ghraib
        reflect something genuine and revolting about the human condition.
        Traditional Christianity has called it sin, an unattractive word,
        but we can find new ones. Once we've looked it in the face, we can
        start thinking with a new realism, and gravity, strangely, will
        carry us clear till it's a distant memory. Actually, Epicurus says
        something possibly related to this:

        (from eduard's former 'epicureanism' section, in Nooism,
        the listing of "Principle Doctrines" as so-called "Vatican Sayings")

        18. Bodily pleasure does not increase when the pain of want has
        been removed; after that it only admits of variation. The limit of
        mental pleasure, however, is reached when we reflect on these bodily
        pleasures and their related emotions, which used to cause the mind
        the greatest alarms.

        Louise