Re: Race

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
      Ah, yes: 'political correctness'. You see, that chilling phrase
      probably inhibits somewhat different kinds of discourse in different
      countries or States, according to the legal system, etc. We are
      probably somewhat freer than the French in these kinds of areas, and
      if anyone gets prosecuted for saying unpopular things, there's at
      least habeas corpus, so far. But there is, I suspect, a limit to
      how far we can get with direct discussion on existlist. You're
      right, we have to find ways of saying. In politics, my own
      experience and Paul's unflagging pessimism about contemporary
      democracy, have combined to rein in some of my sanguine Sagittarian
      optimism, but dash it, I think there are some hopeful signs, in the
      UK, that crime, unvetted immigration, educational failure and
      overloads on the medical system (all evils in themselves) are slowly
      producing the conditions for an intelligent revolt. Yes, it will
      surely happen differently in our respective countries. I think,
      actually, you probably have more apartheid in USA, than here, and an
      astonishing number of young black men going into your jails or being
      shot. I know that's a generalisation, but it looks so stark and
      obvious it might as well stand as an example. Anything that is
      going to make your minority populations even angrier is not
      intelligent; I don't think anything can be effectively done by sheer
      force any more, even if it were desirable.
      Goodness, look at the time. Channel Four News. See you later.
      Louise