Race

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
      Louise, Your post was most provocative and hardly politically
      correct.Nowadays painting in such broad strokes is immediately taken
      for racial conjecture. I think there is much to be learned from that
      kind of analysis. Identification of areas where racial groups act in
      similar fashon can lead to beneficial demographic knowledge. To be
      correct it must be masked as market study with psudonems covering
      the racial character of the players. Certainly the think tanks
      engage in such research but their agenda remains closed to public
      scrutany.
      In a similar vein we are being asked if Bush is using the terrorist
      situation for political benefit. I find it most difficult to form
      an opinion when the intelligence is unavailable to me as an
      individual citisen. If I do not know what the intelligence is how am
      I to weight it? As an existentialist my footing becomes less and
      less sound because I must trust and/ or guess. My concept of
      representative democracy becomes much more literal as democracy is
      only represented by the system. With analitical thinking banned as
      politically incorrect and first line knowledge of precipitous events
      classified beyond my clearance, I become sightless as I vote a party
      line. I understand that is exactly how many special interests wish
      me to be cornered. Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
        Ah, yes: 'political correctness'. You see, that chilling phrase
        probably inhibits somewhat different kinds of discourse in different
        countries or States, according to the legal system, etc. We are
        probably somewhat freer than the French in these kinds of areas, and
        if anyone gets prosecuted for saying unpopular things, there's at
        least habeas corpus, so far. But there is, I suspect, a limit to
        how far we can get with direct discussion on existlist. You're
        right, we have to find ways of saying. In politics, my own
        experience and Paul's unflagging pessimism about contemporary
        democracy, have combined to rein in some of my sanguine Sagittarian
        optimism, but dash it, I think there are some hopeful signs, in the
        UK, that crime, unvetted immigration, educational failure and
        overloads on the medical system (all evils in themselves) are slowly
        producing the conditions for an intelligent revolt. Yes, it will
        surely happen differently in our respective countries. I think,
        actually, you probably have more apartheid in USA, than here, and an
        astonishing number of young black men going into your jails or being
        shot. I know that's a generalisation, but it looks so stark and
        obvious it might as well stand as an example. Anything that is
        going to make your minority populations even angrier is not
        intelligent; I don't think anything can be effectively done by sheer
        force any more, even if it were desirable.
        Goodness, look at the time. Channel Four News. See you later.
        Louise