Re: Race

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
      Mary, It is a very interesting and important topic to me: the
      relationships among what are, conceived abstractly, different areas
      of scholarly discourse, i.e., human biology/genetics;
      politics/economics; philosophy/culture, the latter being an
      especially vague term, but, for me, exemplified especially by
      poetry, ancient and modern, which purifies the language of the tribe
      (was that Mallarme's phrase, if translated back into French?).
      There most certainly are no quick and easy answers. My political
      endeavours in relation to existential postings at existlist have
      been simply repeated attempts to open up the can of worms, to make
      it quite clear that there is a problem - viz, prejudice and speech-
      suppression posing as morality, whether religious or secular. Then
      I've been transcribing snippets that are of intrinsic interest, but
      are not actually representative of the best scholarship in the
      field. I haven't read 'The Bell Curve', for instance, and don't
      particularly want to, because my instincts tell me that politics are
      leading the way, and science trotting along behind, in such works.
      I could be wrong; and I'm not saying it would be bad science, just
      inefficacious, because the first task is to persuade, at the
      cultural and human level, that there is something intrinsically
      beautiful and justified and necessary about studying race, as with
      any other subject of study.
      I am no expert, but I doubt whether radical Islam needs to concern
      itself with racial questions, because the Muslims have a doctrine of
      brotherhoood and sisterhood that cuts across racial divides very
      well, wherever it works. When Islam degenerates into brutality at
      the level of the individual, the family, the State, or the cell of
      activists, then that is a political and religious challenge, to say
      the least, to Muslims and their leaders. And for the West, it is a
      political, legal, and military headache, again to say the least. My
      own emphasis is not political but philosophical/religious. I
      practise what I understand of Christianity, which is in such a
      degenerate intellectual and moral condition at present, that my
      practise of it must seem to some as though it's 'hooligan
      Christianity', but those who observe what happens will see that I am
      not violent, I simply wield words with uninhibited ethical passion.
      The sanctimonious inveighings against courteous expressions of
      opinion on the subject of race - well, it literally stops my typing
      fingers in their tracks. It's not anger I feel - it's disgust.
      How oh how have we in the West got ourselves into this nauseating
      condition of timidity soaked in guilt, about what is physically
      beautiful, intellectually interesting, and politically crucial: the
      whole amazing reality of racial difference. It's all right for the
      kiddies to chuckle over people having their noses measured, when the
      science was all mired in vicious political struggle they cannot
      understand. But in my part of the world, at any rate, I find it
      very hard to tolerate if a human being has reached the age of four,
      and is still behaving like an idiot. It's not my business - I hold
      the parents responsible, but the government and the electorate
      complacent with such government, are also responsible for this gross
      tyrannical immaturity.
      Let's get practical. This isn't going to be easy. The first step
      is to weigh the arguments on how the broad mass of the people are to
      be persuaded that bookshops, stationers, and libraries, should be
      able to stock scholarship and magazines and newspapers on merit and
      on customer demand, and not on a basis skewed by covert political
      pressure and commercial greed. It totally sickens me, to see all
      the bodily vulgarity on view, in the absence of freedom of speech
      about the pursuits of the mind. Now that's what I call
      discrimination, and it's the bee I've been carrying in my bonnet for
      at least twenty-three years now. Louise

      > Louise, Your recent posts about race-racial-racism are interesting
      > me. Someone recently remarked to me that behind most terror and
      > torture lurks racism. Surely this topic falls under the ex.-aegis.
      > The major contemporary racial-philosophical-politic we need to
      > contend with these days is radical islam. Dealing with cultural
      > bullyism in our neighborhoods and city-states is painful enough,
      but
      > most nations are in the same canoe when it comes to more
      catastrophic
      > casualties. France has a horrible history of dealing with the
      > Algerians, and as they were friendly but unhappily married for so
      > many years, many moslems immigrated to France. Camus himself was
      > personally involved in the issue. Now something like 10%
      constitute
      > their population. Add to the fact that they want a piece of the
      > future economy of Babylon the Great, without having had to pay in
      > blood, they've got a real mess on their hands. I imagine some day
      > they'll jump into our canoe, but they'll have to get their hands
      > dirty first. I still haven't decided yet if banning the burka or
      > carrying rosaries is the true path to secularism. I'm just pissed
      > off that I have to listen to the presbyterian church's electronic
      > chimes from across the street at 9, 12, 3 & 6 o' clock every day!
      The
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
        Louise, Your post was most provocative and hardly politically
        correct.Nowadays painting in such broad strokes is immediately taken
        for racial conjecture. I think there is much to be learned from that
        kind of analysis. Identification of areas where racial groups act in
        similar fashon can lead to beneficial demographic knowledge. To be
        correct it must be masked as market study with psudonems covering
        the racial character of the players. Certainly the think tanks
        engage in such research but their agenda remains closed to public
        scrutany.
        In a similar vein we are being asked if Bush is using the terrorist
        situation for political benefit. I find it most difficult to form
        an opinion when the intelligence is unavailable to me as an
        individual citisen. If I do not know what the intelligence is how am
        I to weight it? As an existentialist my footing becomes less and
        less sound because I must trust and/ or guess. My concept of
        representative democracy becomes much more literal as democracy is
        only represented by the system. With analitical thinking banned as
        politically incorrect and first line knowledge of precipitous events
        classified beyond my clearance, I become sightless as I vote a party
        line. I understand that is exactly how many special interests wish
        me to be cornered. Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
          Ah, yes: 'political correctness'. You see, that chilling phrase
          probably inhibits somewhat different kinds of discourse in different
          countries or States, according to the legal system, etc. We are
          probably somewhat freer than the French in these kinds of areas, and
          if anyone gets prosecuted for saying unpopular things, there's at
          least habeas corpus, so far. But there is, I suspect, a limit to
          how far we can get with direct discussion on existlist. You're
          right, we have to find ways of saying. In politics, my own
          experience and Paul's unflagging pessimism about contemporary
          democracy, have combined to rein in some of my sanguine Sagittarian
          optimism, but dash it, I think there are some hopeful signs, in the
          UK, that crime, unvetted immigration, educational failure and
          overloads on the medical system (all evils in themselves) are slowly
          producing the conditions for an intelligent revolt. Yes, it will
          surely happen differently in our respective countries. I think,
          actually, you probably have more apartheid in USA, than here, and an
          astonishing number of young black men going into your jails or being
          shot. I know that's a generalisation, but it looks so stark and
          obvious it might as well stand as an example. Anything that is
          going to make your minority populations even angrier is not
          intelligent; I don't think anything can be effectively done by sheer
          force any more, even if it were desirable.
          Goodness, look at the time. Channel Four News. See you later.
          Louise