another snippet of philosophical politics

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2004
      'COMPOSITE FRANCE'

      Although a clear majority of the French population is to-day Alpine
      in race the minority elements still play a greater part in the
      national life than their mere numbers would indicate. This is
      particularly true in certain fields. Nordics contribute most to
      science and invention, while in literature and art honors are shared
      between Nordics and Mediterraneans. On the other hand, politics and
      government are falling more and more into Alpine hands, as is
      natural for a majority under democratic political institutions. In
      fact, the general tone of French national life is becoming
      increasingly Alpine in character. This unquestionably makes for
      solidity. Yet many French writers deplore the lack of individual
      initiative and the reliance upon the state which the average
      Frenchman displays.
      Both the virtues and the shortcomings of the Alpine temperament come
      out most clearly in the French peasantry, which is mainly Alpine in
      blood. Hard-working, thrifty, solid, but limited in imaginative
      vision and creative intelligence, the French peasant remains what he
      has always been. The difference lies not in himself but in the fact
      that modern political and economic conditions have made him a
      greater power in the nation than was formerly the case. The French
      peasantry was never so prosperous as it is to-day. Furthermore, it
      is the most numerous occupational group in the nation. We must
      remember that France never industrialized herself like England and
      Germany, where the bulk of the population now lives in cities and
      towns. In France a majority of the population still lives in the
      country. According to the last census, of France's 39,000,000
      inhabitants only 18,000,000 live under urban conditions, while
      21,000,0000 live on the land.
      This means that France grows enough foodstuffs to feed her own
      population, and that, unlike England and Germany, she is not
      dependent for her very life upon selling the products of her
      industry in foreign markets. Indeed, France's whole economic system
      is very different from that of her more industrialized neighbors.
      British and German industry is based upon the principle of mass
      production for foreign markets. French industry, so far as staple
      manufactures are concerned, is based upon limited production behind
      a high tariff wall primarily for the home market. And French
      production is further limited by the home demand for high quality
      coupled with long wear. This is where the French view-point differs
      radically from ours. The Frenchman hates to scrap anything.
      Whether it be a single machine or a whole factory, his idea is to
      buy a well-made article and then use until it is absolutely worn
      out. Even if it gets behind the times, he cannot bear to throw it
      away. Under such circumstances French manufactured staples have not
      been able to compete in the world market with British, German, or
      American staples, and France's typical exports have remained high-
      grade specialties such as ladies' fashions, silks, perfumes, wines,
      and other articles in which France has more or less of a monopoly
      advantage.
      French business and finance have much the same character as French
      industry. The French merchant and the French investor do not like
      to take risks. They prefer safety to chances of big profits - and
      big losses. Frenchmen like to salt down their thrifty savings in
      gilt-edged securities like government bonds. .................

      This extract from Lothrop Stoddard's 'Racial Realities in Europe',
      Charles Scribner's sons, 1924. The foreword's final paragraph reads:
      This book attempts a brief survey of Europe along these lines [with
      due regard to the racial factor]. It makes no pretension to either
      completeness or finality. It is frankly a pioneering sketch. My
      hope is that others may be stimulated to enter and explore this
      largely uncharted field.
      Details of a political and economic nature vary over time, but
      racial/national/cultural trends usually move slowly, over
      centuries. I cannot lay my hands on it just now, but I recall that
      the comment of an eleventh-century Englishman, concerning the
      bureaucratic project of the Domesday Book (those Normans, of
      course ...), was recorded for posterity, possibly in the Anglo-Saxon
      Chronicles. He expressed horror that officials were deputed to look
      into every barn and byre, to count the number of livestock held by
      each yeoman (if I have the right word there). The English, the
      Welsh, the Scots, the Irish, we have had a thousand years, nearly,
      to assimilate that invasion from France, its bloody beginnings, its
      fetish for castles and for order imposed from above; yet the
      reaction of that Anglo-Saxon forebear is still to be heard, soberly
      and rationally and increasingly loudly, in response to de facto
      surrender from elected representatives, to foreign elites who wish
      to prevent us even from voicing our grief, our rage, our national
      being. I finish this sentence with my heart thumping, because a
      group of laughing children have been hoying small stones at the
      window here.

      Louise