How to Make it Work

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2004
      Zon,

      Thank you for sharing your ideas. I find that there are many unique
      and wonderful approaches to solving our problems. There has always
      been a consensus amongst sensitive, intelligent people that humanity
      has either run amok or degenerated into something less than human. I
      too believe in the vast potential of people to achieve the goals we
      individually and collectively seek, but I'm also continuously
      frustrated by the reluctance of others to actually sit down and begin
      meaningful communication. Even the most hard core survivalist or
      pragmatist recognizes the personal danger and the futility of
      organizing to achieve goals. Not only are there risks, the success
      rate is nominal. We have accidents; we make mistakes, we die.

      At what point can we `force' others to cooperate? The single, the few
      are always going to contest with the many, and in the end remain
      unique and alone with their ideals. I applaud your efforts proposed
      by Advanced Nurturance. I see the wisdom of Beavitt's
      Communicationalism. I particularly like the logic and poetry of Madoc
      Owen's Blue Rose Project which recognizes language and communication
      as the direction for realizing human potential. I appreciate the
      literature, poetry, and even physics referenced and expressed in the
      ExistList Group by some very unique existentialists as inspiring. I
      understand the nihilist and absurdity sentiments as well.

      My question to you and others is, how do we make any of it work? How
      can we practically apply our desires, as expressed in our proposed
      solutions, to our personal and collective lives? At what point do we
      convince others that a change in relativity is necessary when death
      comes along so stealthily and unpredictably, or even inevitably, to
      ruin our progress? It seems we have so little time to individually
      find the terminology or solutions. Then again, maybe we have lots of
      time but no will power to cooperate and succeed. Should we accept
      that truth and reality are subjective and relative? Maybe, in the
      end, most people simply don't have a reason to change. They're
      convinced that nothing will make any difference, only that which they
      choose for themselves. Seems to me the crux of the problem is what
      that legendary warrior-poet-lover King David said. "All day I am for
      peace, but they are for war." He had responsibility for a country. As
      an individuals, we have responsibilities for our Self and any Other
      who chooses to be our companions. Citizens have some opportunities to
      change their governments if they are relatively free and optimistic.

      Aside from that, we only have hope in human potential, our own. We
      have to face our limitations and live bravely, knowing we are alone.
      Until enough people appreciate their position in the universe,
      nothing will change.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2004
        Mary wrote: At what point can we `force' others to cooperate?

        My god! You've bewildered and confused me in the past, my friend,
        if you're ready yet to offer me the tenuous trust of that perilous
        noun, but now you astonish me. Your question is fascist. A cross-
        national humour incompatibility? Louise
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2004
          Additional glossary: don't forget that a house containing an old-
          fashioned gramophone lends an extra dimension to the term, 'wind-up'.
          Louise