us

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      Although our foundations were a mutiny, a veritable melange of
      economic and lofty philosophical reasons, all the blood shed in this
      country, or anywhere else on this planet won't mean anything; unless
      we get this right, right now. Since the discovery of new oil in Saudi
      Arabia, and the rise of Shiite Islam in Iran, Wahhabism Islam in
      Saudi Arabia, the Soviet-Afgan war, these are the reasons for this
      silent coup -power and greed. That the U.S. government could have
      made such an apparently stupid mistake in parading Saddam today only
      shows how much it doesn't understand its own philosophy. Do you think
      they really care about democracy and human rights? Before, during,
      and after their terms, politicians and wealthy special interests
      collude to hoard for themselves and their posterity. Now they do it
      at the peril of our future. Of course, no one wants to destroy
      enemies with nuclear or biological weapons, so this could drag on and
      on, unless we make accountability mean something. All the wonderful
      words, all the wonderful ideas have all but completely lost their
      meanings. Bush stole the election, declared a mandate, and plunged
      into further jeopardy, because he was compromised, indebted to the
      richest special interest of all, Saudi Arabia.

      ---------------------

      For the international philosophers in our group, this is the Preamble
      to the U.S. Constitution, followed by the U.S. Presidential Oath of
      Office:

      `We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect
      Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for
      the Common Defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the
      Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and
      establish this Constitution for the United States of America.'

      `I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the
      office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my
      ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United
      States.'

      --------------------

      I've got a few more books on order: Richard Clarke's "Against All
      Enemies", John Dean's "Worse Than Watergate", and Joe Wilson's "The
      Politics of Truth". Should be a fun summer, if I survive. I just got
      back from the park where the kids are swimming in the pool, the lawns
      keepers are cutting the grass, and the boys are playing basketball.
      My son's friend came over this morning to share his great finds at a
      record store: classic collector vinyl record albums - Louis
      Armstrong!, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Woodstock. He's almost 21
      yrs. old. I've got a park board meeting this evening, where I'll
      intermingle with people who would disagree with me about my atheism,
      my politics, and my lifestyle. But this is the America that should
      continue. Someday, I'll be even braver. Mary