Mockery of justice

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      The arraignment of Saddam highlights the duplicity of the American
      psyche. This man, proported to Americans to be a mass murderer,
      torturer and war criminal, appeared in a suit, seated and
      unshackled. He took control of the proceedings and used profanity
      while pointing in a menacing fashion at the judge. He then refused
      to sign the record of the proceedings.
      Had I lost a family member in that conflict I would be outraged.
      Saddam stated that he is the President of the Republic of Iraq. He
      denied the authority of the court and was unchallenged.
      This man should have appeared in a prison uniform. He should have
      been chained hand and foot. He should have stood before the Judge.
      His only answers should have been Yes or no. He should never have
      been given the opportunity to refuse to sign any document.
      In the Arab world this all but restores the power of a despot. He
      reappeared the strong man. He reassurted his authority. He was
      defiant and maintained his assertion he is President. Forty two
      percent of the Iraqi people thought he should be released before
      this debacle. Who will support the weak and powerless US after the
      return of the despot? Fallusia must be firing joy shots as we speak.
      Saddam accused Bush of being a war criminal! The Arab world must be
      in shock. In a world of summary justice the coalition has lost all
      face.
      I think we should now withdraw from Iraq because we are now seen
      the fool. We should get rid of the Bush administration which
      sponseded this horror show. We should move behind our nuclear shield
      and not fear to use it. We should go on a crash program to delete
      any need for mid east oil. The situation, as it now presents, is
      untenable. Bill