File - FAQ

  • existlist@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 72 , Jul 1, 2004
      ExistList FAQ

      Last Updated: 01-May-2003 04:15

      Contents
      1.0 The List
      1.1 The list's purpose
      1.2 History
      1.3 URLs for the list
      1.4 Founder and moderators
      1.5 Rules
      2.0 Topics Discussed
      2.1 Existentialism
      2.2 Phenomenology
      3.0 More Information
      3.1 Official Exist List pages
      3.2 Yahoo Homepage

      1.0 The "Exist List"

      1.1 Purpose
      This mailing list is a community interested in
      existentialism and phenomenology. Yes, Sartre,
      Nietzsche, and Kierkegaard, but also many others:
      Frankl, May, Jaspers, and Merleau-Ponty to name a
      few. This list encourages questions and exchanges
      of information. We want to know about the latest
      literature, articles, book releases, and more.

      1.2 History
      The list was started in the late 1980s on the
      BITNET. It moved to FidoNet in 1992, then to
      OneList, eGroups, and finally landing at its
      current home on Yahoo Groups by 1999.

      1.3 URLs for the Exist List
      The mailing list URL is:

      The Official homepage URL is:
      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist

      I maintain the "Existential Primer" at the
      preceding URL. It is only a primer, not an all-
      inclusive look at existentialism, phenomenology,
      and continental philosophy.

      1.4 Founder and Moderators
      I, C. S. Wyatt, founded the list. Visit the URL
      and read what I have posted. I am a reader and
      writer interested in philosophy.

      Is this group actively moderated? Ideally, no.
      Only violations of the "personal attack" rule are
      likely to result in a temporary "kick" from the
      list. We have never "banned" anyone from the list
      permanently and would like to keep it that way.
      Language violations receive a private warning,
      and that tends to be sufficient.

      Moderators vary over time and may be located via
      the Yahoo page.

      1.5 What are the rules of the list?
      No personal attacks. No lengthy discussions of
      specific religious issues (take those to other
      lists, please). No strong profanity (you know
      which words those would be). Be polite, and try
      to keep discussions on the topic of philosophy as
      much as possible.

      1.5.1 No personal attacks
      We want this group to remain polite and
      inviting. Be polite. If you disagree with
      someone, explain your reasons without insulting
      the other individual personally.

      1.5.2 No lengthy discussions of religious issues
      Long discussions of specific religious issues
      belong in other mailing lists, not here.
      Christian Existentialism is a valid point of
      discussion, as are philosophers within that
      grouping, but we do not want this list to be
      dominated by discussions of Christianity.
      Sartre, Camus, Nietzsche, and many others were
      not Christians. There is room for all topics, but
      not for dwelling on one branch of existentialism.

      1.5.3 No profanity
      This list is used by students. We expect proper
      behavior.

      1.5.4 No "flooding" the group with posts
      We ask that members limit their posts to
      five-to-ten per day, preferably fewer when
      possible. Members posting too often appear to be
      "shouting" at the group. Dominating a group
      causes others to leave, as when one person
      dominates a dinner party. Share the floor, as it
      were, and encourage participation by as many
      members as possible. Do not "hog" space on the
      list -- it is poor form.

      2.0 List Topics
      First, new members should read our Official Homepage:
      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist

      After reading the homepage, then try to remain on
      topic. Topics allowed include existentialism,
      phenomenology, and Continental philosophy.

      2.1 Existentialism Defined
      Visit
      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/elexicon.asp for
      a list of definitions and a complete lexicon used
      by academics when discussing existententialism.

      2.1.1 Merriam-Webster Online
      ex�is�ten�tial�ism. Pronunciation: -'ten(t)-
      sh&-"li-z&m. noun. A chiefly 20th century
      philosophical movement embracing diverse
      doctrines but centering on analysis of
      individual existence in an unfathomable
      universe and the plight of the individual
      who must assume ultimate responsibility for
      his acts of free will without any certain
      knowledge of what is right or wrong or good
      or bad

      2.1.2 Webster's New World Dictionary, Second
      College Edition. William Collins Publishers,
      Inc.; Cleveland, Ohio; 1979
      The doctrine that existence takes precedence
      over essence and holding that man is totally
      free and responsible for his acts. This
      responsibility is the source of dread and
      anguish that encompass mankind.

      2.1.3 American Heritage Dictionary of the
      English Language, Third Edition. Houghton
      Mifflin Company, 1992
      A philosophy that emphasizes the uniqueness
      and isolation of the individual experience
      in a hostile or indifferent universe,
      regards human existence as unexplainable,
      and stresses freedom of choice and
      responsibility for the consequences of one's
      acts.

      2.1.4 Britannica Concise Encyclopedia.
      April 20, 2003, from Encyclop�dia Britannica
      Premium Service.
      http://www.britannica.com/

      Philosophical movement oriented toward two
      major themes, the analysis of human existence
      and the centrality of human choice.

      Existentialism's chief theoretical energies
      are thus devoted to questions about ontology
      and decision. It traces its roots to the
      writings of Soren Kierkegaard and Friedrich
      Nietzsche. As a philosophy of human existence,
      existentialism found its best 20th-century
      exponent in Karl Jaspers; as a philosophy of
      human decision, its foremost representative
      was J.-P. Sartre. Sartre finds the essence
      of human existence in freedom�in the duty of
      self-determination and the freedom of choice�
      and therefore spends much time describing the
      human tendency toward "bad faith," reflected
      in humanity's perverse attempts to deny its
      own responsibility and flee from the truth
      of its inescapable freedom.

      2.2 Phenomenolgy

      2.2.1 Merriam-Webster Online
      phe�nom�e�nol�o�gy. Pronunciation: fi-"n�-
      m&-'n�-l&-jE. noun. circa 1797
      Etymology: German Ph�nomenologie, from
      Ph�nomenon phenomenon + -logie �logy
      1: the study of the development of human
      consciousness and self-awareness as a
      preface to philosophy or a part of
      philosophy. Experience usually is considered
      over science, senses over objective reality
      due to how we acquire knowledge.
      2 (a) A philosophical movement that
      describes the formal structure of the
      objects of awareness and of awareness itself
      in abstraction from any claims concerning
      existence. The typological classification of
      a class of phenomena <the phenomenology of
      religion> (b) An analysis produced by
      phenomenological investigation

      3.0 More Information

      3.1 Official List Pages
      The Existential Primer currently features
      profiles on the following writers/philosophers:
      de Beauvoir, Camus, Dostoevsky, Hegel, Heidegger,
      Husserl, Jaspers, Kafka, Kierkegaard, Merleau-
      Ponty, Nietzsche, Sartre, and several others in
      progress, too.

      The pages are works in progress. See
      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/index.html on a
      regular basis for updates. For a non-framed
      version, visit
      http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/exist.html

      3.2 Visit the Yahoo Page
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/existlist
      The Yahoo page and my page include links to other
      philosophy sites, databases for research, and
      even a live chat option.
    • existlist@yahoogroups.com
      Message 72 of 72 , Apr 1 11:41 AM
        ExistList FAQ

        Last Updated: 05-Nov-2010

        Contents
        1.0 The List
        1.1 The list's purpose
        1.2 History
        1.3 URLs for the list
        1.4 Founder and moderators
        1.5 Rules
        2.0 Topics Discussed
        2.1 Existentialism
        2.2 Phenomenology
        3.0 More Information
        3.1 Official Exist List pages
        3.2 Yahoo Homepage

        1.0 The Exist List

        The Exist List is a "mailing list server" hosted on Yahoo Groups. The experienced Internet users prefer the term LISTSERV, a reference to an old VAX/VMS and UNIX program used to maintain mailing lists. (Notice the "ER" for List Server is missing because data file and program names were limited to eight characters.)

        Members receive "postings" from each other via e-mail, or you can elect to read the postings on Yahoo, where an archive of all posts since 1999 resides. Most members select to read via the Yahoo web page, due to the volume of posts.

        1.1 Purpose

        This mailing list is a community interested in existentialism, phenomenology, and philosophy in general. The primary purpose is to explore Continental schools of thought, as opposed to Analytical Philosophy. Yes, Sartre, Nietzsche, and Kierkegaard, but also many others: Frankl, May, Jaspers, and Merleau-Ponty to name a few. This list encourages questions and exchanges of information. We want to know about the latest literature, articles, book releases, and more. Feel free to post book or film recommendations, in addition to questions on philosophical texts.

        1.2 History

        The list was started in the late 1980s on the BITNET. It moved to FidoNet in 1992, then to OneList, eGroups, and finally landing at its current home on Yahoo Groups by 1999. The group pre-dates the creation of the Existential Primer Web site. The site was created in November, 1996, and has been expanding ever since.

        1.3 URLs for the Exist List

        The Official homepage URL is: http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist. I maintain the "Existential Primer" at the preceding URL. It is only a primer, not an all-inclusive look at existentialism, phenomenology, and Continental philosophy. Members and potential members of the Exist List are encouraged to visit the Existential Primer on a regular basis to offer suggestions, corrections, and possible additions.

        1.4 Founder and Moderators

        I (C. S. Wyatt) founded the list at a time when the Internet was still too "academic" in many ways. My goal was to make philosophical discussions open to everyone, not merely graduate students and professors. I am a reader and writer interested in philosophy. Yes, I have academic credential and they shouldn't matter on this list. No one cares about credentials -- knowledge and experience are valued on this list.

        Is this group actively moderated? Ideally, no, but there are times when we must intervene. Moderators vary over time and may be located via the Yahoo page.

        1.5 What are the rules of the list?

        No personal attacks. No lengthy discussions of specific religious issues (take those to other lists, please). No strong profanity (you know which words those would be). Be polite, and try to keep discussions on the topic of philosophy as much as possible.

        The list does not function if you "flood" the list with off-topic posts, personal messages, or more than five posts during a single 24-hour period.

        1.5.1 No personal attacks

        We want this group to remain polite and inviting. Be polite. If you disagree with someone, explain your reasons without insulting the other individual personally.

        1.5.2 No lengthy discussions of specific religious issues

        Long discussions of specific religious issues belong in other mailing lists, not here. Christian Existentialism is a valid point of discussion, as are philosophers within that grouping, but we do not want this list to be dominated by discussions of Christianity. Sartre, Camus, Nietzsche, and many others were not Christians. There is room for all topics, but not for dwelling on one branch of existentialism.

        1.5.3 No profanity

        This list is used by students. We expect proper behavior.

        1.5.4 No "flooding" the group with posts

        We ask that members limit their posts to five per day, with a maximum of ten during an active exchange. Members posting too often appear to be "shouting" at the group. Dominating a group causes others to leave, as when one person dominates a dinner party. Share the floor, as it were, and help us encourage participation by as many members as possible. Do not "hog" space on the list -- it is poor form. If people are not responding to a topic you suggest, give them time. Not everyone can read the list daily, so be patient. This is not a chat room, it is a mailing list.

        2.0 List Topics

        New or potential members should read our Official Homepage: http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist. After reading the homepage, then try to remain on topic. Topics allowed include existentialism, phenomenology, and Continental philosophy. Any philosophical discussion is welcomed as long as it takes the topic seriously and encourages an exchange of ideas. Current philosophy is a frequent topic, especially post-modernism.

        2.1 Existentialism Defined

        Visit http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist/elexicon.html for a list of definitions and a complete lexicon used by academics when discussing existentialism.

        2.1.1 Merriam-Webster Online

        http://www.m-w.com

[...]

        2.1.5 World Book Multimedia Encyclopedia.

        World Book, Inc, 2001

        Existentialism, pronounced ehg zihs TEHN shuh lihz uhm, is a philosophical movement that developed in continental Europe during the 1800's and 1900's. The movement is called existentialism because most of its members are primarily interested in the nature of existence or being, by which they usually mean human existence. Although the philosophers generally considered to be existentialists often disagree with each other and sometimes even resent being classified together, they have been grouped together because they share many problems, interests, and ideas.

        The most prominent existentialist thinkers of the 1900's include the French writers Albert Camus, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Gabriel Marcel; the German philosophers Karl Jaspers and Martin Heidegger; the Russian religious and political thinker Nicolas Berdyaev; and the Jewish philosopher Martin Buber.

        2.1.6 World Book, New York Times Dictionary.

        World Book, Inc., 2001

        existentialism, noun.
        a philosophy holding that reality consists of living and that man makes himself what he is and is responsible personally only to himself for what he makes himself. Modern existentialism was developed by a group of contemporary writers, such as Gabriel Marcel, Karl Jaspers, and especially Jean Paul Sartre, out of the works of Soren Kierkegaard, Friedrich Nietzsche, and other existentialist philosophers and writers of the 1800's. Existentialism, as expounded by Sartre, is not pessimistic in the nihilist sense, but is a doctrine of fortitude and even hope.

        2.1.7 The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition.

        Columbia University Press, 2002. http://www.bartleby.com/65/ex/existentism.html

        (gzstn�shlzm, ks�) any of several philosophic systems, all centered on the individual and his relationship to the universe or to God. Important existentialists of varying and conflicting thought are S�ren Kierkegaard, Karl Jaspers, Martin Heidegger, Gabriel Marcel, and Jean-Paul Sartre. All revolt against the traditional metaphysical approaches to man and his place in the universe. Thinkers such as St. Thomas Aquinas, Blaise Pascal, and Friedrich Nietzsche have been called existentialists, but it is more accurate to place the beginnings of the movement with Kierkegaard.

        Sartre was the only self-declared existentialist among the major thinkers. For him the central idea of all existential thought is that existence precedes essence. For Sartre there is no God and therefore no fixed human nature that forces one to act. Man is totally free and entirely responsible for what he makes of himself. It is this freedom and responsibility that, as for Kierkegaard, is the source of man�s dread.

        2.2 Phenomenology

        2.2.1 Merriam-Webster Online

        http://www.m-w.com

        phe�nom�e�nol�o�gy. Pronunciation: fi-"n�-m&-'n�-l&-jE. noun. circa 1797 Etymology: German Ph�nomenologie, from Ph�nomenon phenomenon + -logie �logy

        1: the study of the development of human consciousness and self-awareness as a preface to philosophy or a part of philosophy. Experience usually is considered over science, senses over objective reality due to how we acquire knowledge.

        2 (a) A philosophical movement that describes the formal structure of the objects of awareness and of awareness itself in abstraction from any claims concerning existence. The typological classification of a class of phenomena <the phenomenology of religion> (b) An analysis produced by phenomenological investigation

        3.0 More Information

        Neither the Exist List nor my Web site offers enough information for even a beginning study of existentialism. Members of the list are encouraged to explore and learn via the web and via the wonders of printed pages.