Naive

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2004
      <I hear many warnings going off around me regarding health care and
      social fairness. In our political system we equate work with
      aquisition but that general theme is being set aside. Now we reward
      trickery with the bounty that we used to reserve for honest labor.
      This type of erosion is fair warning that the philosophic
      underpinnings of the political system are being abandoned.> Bill

      Where have you been? Remember the recession of the 70's when prices
      rose and wages were slashed half? Remember the 80's and junk bonds,
      and corporate raiding of pension funds? What about the disintegration
      of labor unions? Steel and cars and houses and unions and all that
      sweat made it possible for us to afford good health care. Are you
      actually surprised that hard work doesn't guarantee anything except
      immediate compensation and comfort? And you gotta love ERISA, which
      the US Supreme Court recently considered the legal justification for
      denying litigation against HMO's who think they can practice medicine
      and not have to pay for their incompetence. Insurance companies are
      governed by states, but if you want redress, you have to go to
      federal courts where the waiting lists are ridiculously and
      prohibitively long. Employee benefits are only good as long as you're
      working. There are no guarantees in this life regarding hard work and
      fair compensation. If we can eke out a few productive, well
      compensated decades without any misfortune or encounters with the
      greedy, we can consider ourselves lucky. Me? I'm voting for anyone
      who says they'll try and fix some of this stuff. Other than that, I'm
      at their mercy. But this is America and one can find something else
      to do. Being downtrodden and suffering here is much better. Seriously.
      It's worth protecting, long enough for us to get more skillful in
      affecting a human utopia, our evolutionary mandate. There.

      Mary
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 29, 2007
        CS,

        Thanks for the additional meanings. Sadly, though, none of them relate to the
        usage aforementioned. And they certainly couldn't have anything whatsoever to
        do with anything I have ever said.

        At least when I insult someone there is no doubt about it, and I never hide
        behind passive-aggressive excuses.

        WS

        In a message dated 8/29/07 6:22:52 PM, existlist1@... writes:

        > I checked, and Sam Harris writes on Naive Realism, as well. The term,
        > outside the dictionary, seems to have a use in English universities
        > to denote a realism that is based on a purely analytic way of thinking.
        >
        > Sam Harris, though from the U.S., apparently did a lot of research
        > and work at Oxford and Cambridge, where he adopted the term for his
        > own early works on realism and the analytic tradition. I found the
        > word "naive" used by Harris in his writing on the misuse of Kuhn and
        > Rorty.
        >
        > Terms shift. You certainly can't claim Sartre used strict
        > definitions. Philosophers have the nasty habit of redefining terms.
        >
        > I think, but am not sure, that "naive" in this case means a refusal
        > to embrace relativism. So, instead of being insulted, Harris responds
        > that he is proudly naive, unable to see the relative "good" value (or
        > equality) of every choice.
        >
        > - CSW

      • Exist List Moderator
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 29, 2007
          On Aug 29, 2007, at 18:29, eupraxis@... wrote:

          > CS,
          >
          > Thanks for the additional meanings. Sadly, though, none of them
          > relate to the
          > usage aforementioned. And they certainly couldn't have anything
          > whatsoever to
          > do with anything I have ever said.

          What? You're not a realist? ;)

          - C. S. Wyatt
          that I shall be.
        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 29, 2007
            > What? You're not a realist? ;)

            Read too much Nietzsche, Hegel and Lacan to even know what that means
            anymore. : (

            WS