america not alone

  • rubster cruiser
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
      louise <hecubatoher@...> wrote:Mary Jo wrote:

      >Kierkegaard saw the leap of faith as an end to Christianity, since
      it betrayed its namesake.

      This is a very complex subject, and my reading of Kierkegaard is
      very rusty, but I'd say - he thought Christianity had already come
      to an end, and the only hope for its revival was an acknowledgment
      that it was indeed dead. This is what he had in common with
      Nietzsche.

      >It's very difficult to be in the other's shoes. It's simply not
      possible. I can walk my path, and you can walk in your path, either
      alongside or at various intersections. We enter another's orbit at
      one time or another. It can be a creative or destructive event.
      Essentially, we're looking at each other across a universe. It's all
      phenomenology. We're observers.

      All you church-going people, please note!!!

      on behalf of the suffering everywhere, because i'm arrogant enough
      to believe i can say that ...

      p.s. my hobby is embarrassing people.
      i love eduard - global icon.

      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, rubster cruiser <rubster85@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Even existentialists war upon each
      > > other with their tongue swords.
      > >
      > > mary jo,
      > > u are grieved that even existentialists attack each other.
      > > i cannot help but feel that the reason for this is the fact that
      > there are diverse views on wat existentialism really is. possibly
      the
      > toughest qustion regarding existentialism is to define it....
      > > for instancce, kierkegaard talked of a "leap of faith"
      > > into the christian way of life.
      > > however, sartre's existentialism is atheistic in nature, also
      > pessimistic.
      > > both are renowned existentilists.
      > > this just goes on to show thta differences have been rampant
      since
      > the beginning of this philosophy.
      > > attacks will alwys appear where there is a difference of opinion.
      > > Rubster!

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • rubster cruiser
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
        sorry for the blank mails if there were any. some technical prob.
        anyways, this is for bill.
        i noticed u were critical of the admin shit in amer. but let me assure u america is not alone. now, i dont know if thats a consolation or further depressive.
        in my country, there is a man called narendra modi. there is a political party called the VHP which is short for vishwa hindu parishad (roughly translated as "world hindu organization"). u see, india follows the multi party system. thats one of the reasons things are dirty here. so VHP advocates hindu fundamentalism. which means u keep women in homes in the kitchens coz they are merely cooking, offspring producing machines. u cannot kill cows(bah!) coz they are sacred(strangely it slips their notice when these same cows choke on plastic on the roads...they will just not campaign for cleanliness), u advocate the destruction of muslims, and so ans so...on and on it goes.
        so this contemptible -------(censored language) modi single handedly caused a havoc in his state gujarat, though i suppose we must give the indian police their credit for their support of this chap...police is the worst deptt in india. modi caused the hindu and muslim riots in his state some time back.
        u know,i was fortunate enough to come across a documentary on the riots. believe me it was not pretty. people charred, their remains, alive people trying to figure out how to put the charred remains straight so as to bury them properly, alive men and women burning, begging for food.... it shook me. i apologize if i am too graphical. forgive me. wen i had seen this i was 17 years old. hell, i didnt know humans could do this to humans.
        u see, the cause for this utter massive and complete destruction was religion. i lost my faith quite early. this put a seal on it.
        and the man i mentioned, modi, was brazen enough to indirectly state to the media that he was indeed the cause. he said"if the we are not granted the land for the ram temple, there will be a gujarat in every state." he was elected the next CM.
        u see, this is my country. there is only one word for the legal system-it stinks. it stinks of the backlog, people die while their cases are on, it takes so long. the phrase "i will sue u" holds no meaning and is laughed at. and the rapes, women are raped left right and centre. the politicians stink of double standards.
        so u are not alone. of course, i am only concentrating on the negative aspects. there are several good things. but that documentary i saw-made me cry for nites and nites.
        so anyway, thats wat i wanted to say. i am too pessimistic to believe that thngs will change, the fundamentalism mite come down but it will never be rooted out. there will always be modis and bushes around. we have gone from barbarism to decadence without civilization. armageddon has passed us long back, we just dont see it.
        incidentally i would also like to mention that these riots were destructive and showed that human life has no value. but the iraq prison abuse scandal shows human dignity has no value, which is worse. i was truly shocked to see those images.
        rubster.

        louise <hecubatoher@...> wrote:
        Mary Jo wrote:

        >Kierkegaard saw the leap of faith as an end to Christianity, since
        it betrayed its namesake.

        This is a very complex subject, and my reading of Kierkegaard is
        very rusty, but I'd say - he thought Christianity had already come
        to an end, and the only hope for its revival was an acknowledgment
        that it was indeed dead. This is what he had in common with
        Nietzsche.

        >It's very difficult to be in the other's shoes. It's simply not
        possible. I can walk my path, and you can walk in your path, either
        alongside or at various intersections. We enter another's orbit at
        one time or another. It can be a creative or destructive event.
        Essentially, we're looking at each other across a universe. It's all
        phenomenology. We're observers.

        All you church-going people, please note!!!

        on behalf of the suffering everywhere, because i'm arrogant enough
        to believe i can say that ...

        p.s. my hobby is embarrassing people.
        i love eduard - global icon.

        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, rubster cruiser <rubster85@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Even existentialists war upon each
        > > other with their tongue swords.
        > >
        > > mary jo,
        > > u are grieved that even existentialists attack each other.
        > > i cannot help but feel that the reason for this is the fact that
        > there are diverse views on wat existentialism really is. possibly
        the
        > toughest qustion regarding existentialism is to define it....
        > > for instancce, kierkegaard talked of a "leap of faith"
        > > into the christian way of life.
        > > however, sartre's existentialism is atheistic in nature, also
        > pessimistic.
        > > both are renowned existentilists.
        > > this just goes on to show thta differences have been rampant
        since
        > the beginning of this philosophy.
        > > attacks will alwys appear where there is a difference of opinion.
        > > Rubster!

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Bartley, Michael
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
          Mary Jo, I find your statement "Atheism is fundamentally optimistic,
          while Christianity is fundamentally pessimistic" very interesting, could you
          explain how you came to this conclusion. It not that I agree or disagree
          with your conclusion I want to know more. Actually it knocked my socks off!
          Michael

          Appearances can be deceiving. Atheism is fundamentally optimistic,
          while Christianity is fundamentally pessimistic. Camus was atheistic
          and optimistic. Kierkegaard saw the leap of faith as an end to
          Christianity, since it betrayed its namesake. Defining and redefining
          are essentially individualized tasks. It's very difficult to be in
          the other's shoes. It's simply not possible. I can walk my path, and
          you can walk in your path, either alongside or at various
          intersections. We enter another's orbit at one time or another. It
          can be a creative or destructive event. Essentially, we're looking at
          each other across a universe. It's all phenomenology. We're observers.

          Mary Jo

          wrote:
          > Even existentialists war upon each
          > other with their tongue swords.
          >
          > mary jo,
          > u are grieved that even existentialists attack each other.
          > i cannot help but feel that the reason for this is the fact that
          there are diverse views on wat existentialism really is. possibly the
          toughest qustion regarding existentialism is to define it....
          > for instancce, kierkegaard talked of a "leap of faith"
          > into the christian way of life.
          > however, sartre's existentialism is atheistic in nature, also
          pessimistic.
          > both are renowned existentilists.
          > this just goes on to show thta differences have been rampant since
          the beginning of this philosophy.
          > attacks will alwys appear where there is a difference of opinion.
          > Rubster!

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Mary Jo
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2004
            Michael,

            Atheism believes in nothing except human potential. Christianity
            believes in the potential of an imagined god. It's pessimistic in its
            view of humanity. Atheism is courageously optimistic in its view of
            humanity given the present state of affairs in the world.

            Mary Jo

            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Bartley, Michael"