a gift

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      from F. Nietzsche, to: Rubster!

      The Germans as Artists. --- When once a German actually experiences
      passion (and not only, as is usual, the mere inclination to it), he
      then behaves just as he must do in passion, and does not think
      further of his behaviour. The truth is, however, that he then
      behaves very awkwardly and uglily, and as if destitute of rhythm and
      melody; so that onlookers are pained or moved thereby, but nothing
      more - unless he elevate himself to the sublimity and enrapturedness
      of which certain passions are capable. Then even the German becomes
      beautiful. The consciousness of the height at which beauty begins
      to shed its charm even over Germans, forces German artists to the
      height and the super-height, and to the extravagances of passion:
      they have an actual, profound longing, therefore, to get beyond, or
      at least to look beyond the ugliness and awkwardness -- into a
      better, easier, more southern, more sunny world. And thus their
      convulsions are often merely indications that they would like to
      dance: these poor bears in whom hidden nymphs and satyrs, and
      sometimes still higher divinities, carry on their game!

      The Joyful Wisdom (written 1882), Book Second, #105
      translated by Thomas Common, from the Complete Works,
      edited by Dr. Oscar Levy, published by T. N. Foulis,
      first edition September 1910.
      This was the first complete and authorised English translation of
      the German philosopher's works.

      The book, "La Gaya Scienza", has this epigraph:

      I stay to mine own house confined,
      Nor graft my wits on alien stock:
      And mock at every master mind
      That never at itself could mock.

      (I'm now listening to Luxuria, "Beast Box", 'Our Curious Leader':

      Our curious leader knows what's best
      how we're signalbound now to existential sex
      our curious leader has such a lovely daughter
      we wash their feet and quench our thirst with the same water

      Howard Devoto, another great ...
      Accompaniment by Noko
      ... 1989 ...